Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G - only 3G

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: No 4G - only 3G

Moderators Note.

Let's tone the argumentative talk down a bit please.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@woodbyte

Have you tried a speed test app such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest&hl=en_GB

You will notice a big difference if coming from EE's max speed service. I presume you have tried in various locations to rule out an issue with your local transmitter?

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Just noticed today my phone will not hold onto 4G from my local mask and forcing it to 4G it jumps back to H+ after 5 seconds.

I assume this is just a local problem and will sort itself out later but no real problem as far as being able to use data, be it at a slower rate.

woodbyte
Hooked

Yes I have tried speed test app.
I have since tried my SIM in another phone and got the same 3G signal, which meant I could go back to Plusnet with that information. So I went through my history with plusnet support and checked all settings, nothing was found to be wrong.
It was confirmed to me by the plusnet staff member that I spoke to that Plusnet customers do not have the same premium signal that the EE customers enjoy and that they piggyback with a lesser service. I think that this should be made more obvious before signing up, as I doubt that I would have switched had I known.
Now that I have switched and have not really noticed a great deal of difference, other than the signal strength indicator at the top of the screen, I will remain with Plusnet to take advantage of the deal I signed up for. They were good enough to also slightly discount my monthly payment due to the service not really being as promised.
Hopefully the speed will improve in the future, but I am generally satisfied at the moment.
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

If you're only getting 3G instead of 4G then it's likely the speed you have now will be as fast as it gets unless the issue is fixed.

Even though plusnet say they have a lesser service, hence max 4G speed is about 28mb, it still does not explain why 4G isn't working in a 4G area for some. (Whether few or many)

My first 3-4 weeks had 4G speed so it shows even though there is a lesser network, when things are working as they should, a great service is achievable.
After 3weeks my phone switched to 3G and noone l could understand why.

If I had stayed with plusnet too, I'd have 3G like you, which whilst is a reasonable speed is very slow in some areas where I knew 4G was available and which I was getting only a week prior.

Glad to hear you got a monthly discount, sovthey should as you are getting a cheaper 3G service, 4G is a premium.
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

It was confirmed to me by the plusnet staff member that I spoke to that Plusnet customers do not have the same premium signal that the EE customers enjoy and that they piggyback with a lesser service.

Surely they're talking about the EE high speed 4G service? I get 4G in the house and we're in a relatively poor signal area. Unless it's area specific (we're in a fairly rural area) I can't see why your signal (and some others) is different. Perhaps a setting on the mast itself?

woodbyte
Hooked

What ever it is it is something to do with the Plusnet service. If I put en EE SIM in my phone I get 4G virtually everywhere, (rural or not) in the same areas with a Plusnet SIM 3G only. Who knows with regard to mast settings, but the Plusnet agent couldn't find any network issues.
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Seems to be more the service rather than the mask based on the fact I had 4g for 2 weeks from 3 different areas.
Every area then switched to 3G.

One of these areas is rural like you and EE speeds are 70mb on their fastest service.
Plusnet use EE "standard" service (as with virgin etc) where the top achievable speed with 4G is about 28mb, but instead I dropped to 3G, which is much lower.
Whilst all this doesn't matter if you're happy with 3G, it does most things like email, it's not right as a 4g service is being sold.
Ah well, who knows if it'll ever be fixed? Like the roaming not working issue other have.
Have a great week.
Westman
Hooked

I'm having the same problem. Ported my number over to Plusnet last week. Only 3G logo showing but infact Im unable to get any Data anywhere and am relying on WiFi. Contacted Plusnet, tried all sorts of resets etc to no avail. Second SIM sent out, same problem. My wife is with Plusnet so I tried her sim in my iPhone and it showed 4G.My sim in hers, only 3G. Have phoned Plusnet this morning who advised me to evidence 3 separate locations at 3 different times, then they would submit case to technical support. Sorry, its tail wagging the dog. Looking over the forum, this is an issue which Plusnet have to address as they will lose customers.. like me. Im off to get a PAC code from them and head back to EE. Poor show.

JamesAdd
Hooked

I am getting the same issue on iPhone 6

Ported my number from EE on Monday - no data, only voice.

PlusNet have sent me a replacement SIM but still the same problem.

I've read that I need to change APN setting but the option is not available on my phone

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@JamesAdd

Yeah true, no APN on iphone. It can only be changed if the carrier allows it

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201699

As far as I'm aware the sim update text is supposed to do the settings but on the other hand, I got that, it worked for 2 weeks or so then went back to 3G.

Careful if they ask you to reset the network settings on the iphone, you lose all wifi passwords etc and it doesn't solve the problem because it's pretty certain the problem is with Plusnet. 

@Westman confirms this by the fact his wifes Plusnet 4G sim works in his phone but his doesn't

Westman
Hooked

Ive also noticed there are at least 3 other recent topics on the go discussing the same issue..as well as earlier ones.

So cmon Plusnet.. the balls in your court.

Westman
Hooked

I got this deal (unlimited texts/minutes 5gig of 4g for £10)  through MoneySavingExpert.com

I'm going on their forum also to raise the issue 

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

That's the deal I was on! 

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I only get a weak 2G signal in the house but when I'm out & about I usually get 4G with no issues & I was one of the first people to use Plusnet when I was switched over from Life Mobile who didn't offer 4G so my SIM's one of the originals as well.

I got my PN 4G SIM before I got my Microsoft Lumia 550 smartphone & I just popped the SIM into it, didn't touch any settings, & it's worked ever since.