Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is VOIP blocked on Plusnet mobile?

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Is VOIP blocked on Plusnet mobile?

I have a sipgate account and zoiper installed on my mobile phone. When i am hooked up to wifi, i can make VOIP calls using zoiper. When wifi is off and i just have plusnet mobile, zoiper can register with sipgate but calls don't connect. It used to work when i was on vodafone. Is VOIP filtered on Plusnet mobile or am i missing some settings in zoiper?
5 REPLIES 5
MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Re: Is VOIP blocked on Plusnet mobile?

I'm afraid we don't support VOIP, cjags. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

Although Plusnet does not support VOIP, VOiP does indeed work. When they say they don’t support it what they mean is they can’t help you should you not be able to get it to work but work it does once correctly setup.

I use Sipate myself over Plusnet mobile but the App I use on my Android phone is CSipSimple and if you decide to use this App you will find SipgateUK when you search within the App under Worldwide providers because for some unknown reason it does not show up if you only search for it using UK only providers.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Interesting to know that it can work.  It isn't a big problem for me with if it doesn't work over Plusnet mobile.  I mainly use VOIP when there is no mobile signal but there is wifi.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

I have been experimenting and it appears that when i use Sipgate over Plusnet mobile data, the person i call can answer and hear me but i get no sound. Also there are no incoming VOIP data packets just outgoing. Curious.
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

It’s not very often I use Sipgate over PlusNet but I just checked a minute ago with a Sipgate to Sipgate call via Plusnet and the route was Sipgate phone connected to VirginMedia broadband to another Sipgate number on my Plusnet mobile phone using PN mobile data and using the CSipSimple Android App and it’s working with no problems with two way converse in both directions.