cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data on Roaming in New York query

Siouxhealer

Data on Roaming in New York query

Simple enough query I hope.
I have a rolling monthly contract that allows me 3.5 Gb of data. I'm visiting New York soon and want to know if roaming will work with my data allowance if I need it? I'm not expecting to make or receive any calls so that's not an issue. I'll try to hook on to WiFi wherever I can but would like the security of data should I need it.

Using a global Redmi Note 4 - if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Data on Roaming in New York query

You can find the roaming charges here https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/

any data usage when roaming in the USA would be chargeable

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That only applies within the EU now.

So at New York it won't. You'd have to pay roaming data charges.

Just looking at the PlusNet pages, you'd be paying £8 per MB if I am correct. Shocked

That is not cheap, so I would use if sparingly - if at all.

Otherwise when you'll come back to the UK you will have a hefty bill you won't be pleased about.

I would turn data roaming off on my device, and just use Wi-Fi. If you really need to, you've got the option of turning it on if you want to use it but only as a last resort backup.

Put it this way - unless you're a recent lottery winner, then don't watch YouTube on mobile data in New York!

Siouxhealer

LOL thanks for the replies guys. 

That's what I was wondering Alex. Although I have set a £10 cap so it would cut off and not lump me with a huge bill thankfully. That's how I usually use data only activating it when I need it. Lets hope the hotel wifi is up to snuff!
Hubby is on a different provider so his may be a better option.

rogill
Dabbler

You can always use the wifi in McDonalds  in the USA and certainly in New York.

There are plenty of them !

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would be very careful with caps too.

If they don’t work, you can easily assume they are and have a shock bill if you’re wrong.

My advice is to just use Wi-Fi and disable data roaming on your device. So it doesn’t do something behind the scenes (without you asking it to) like downloading your e-mail in the background.

Only use data roaming if you really really need to.