Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Premium Rate SMS

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Blocking Premium Rate SMS

Hi,

I've been reading up on some of the scams that involve people receiving texts that are charged to their phone account.  Regular advice seems to be to reply to the text with "STOP ALL", but of course we can't do that from a Plusnet phone.  Nor presumably can we report it by texting to 7726.  It's a cop out in any event as this would at best only stop future charges from that scammer, you are still liable for the cost of the first message.

Is there a way we can tell Plusnet to block any paid for text?

I don't know how it would work with Plusnet's smart cap. I've seen reports referring to other providers where charges of this sort built up as a debt in spite of their cap.

Any comments welcome

Tony S 

3 REPLIES 3
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Blocking Premium Rate SMS

No answer to this one?

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

I don’t believe there’s any way for Plusnet to block incoming texts or calls: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Blocking/td-p/1623653

Depending on the phone you have you may be able to do that from the phone’s settings

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

There was something on moneybox in last couple of months about this kind of scam and the upshot was if neither the scamming company (usually competitions or some such like) nor the phone company can prove that you signed up for the service then the phone company has to refund you - as you can’t text short code numbers it’s impossible for you to sign up so you should never be out of pocket.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'