cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for a PC code

Batphone
Rising Star

Being charged for a PC code

My understanding is that sending "PAC" to 65075. Why is it then, that when I try to send a text to 65075 I get a pop-up saying that "This will cause charges on your account" ? I am on a pay monthly scheme although according to the EE portal I am well out of contract. I don't see to have to pay for sending other texts?

7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Being charged for a PC code

Does it say it will cause charges on your account, or it may cause charges on your account?

In my experience using Android phones, a similar message is seen whenever you text a shortcode, whether it incurs charge or not. I assume it's because the phone operating system cannot determine whether or not it will.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Batphone
Rising Star

The wording is exactly as I have stated it, namely that "This will cause charges...". You make a valid point though that the message might be being generated by the Android OS. I had assumed this was coming back from my carrier, EE. Why would it generate the message specifically for this number 65075 number though and not other contacts?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The message is only applicable to shortcode numbers, and I think it only pops the first time you interact with a particular shortcode.

I'm wondering if the wording has changed with later versions of Android as I've definitely seen it say "may" in the past and not "will".

Anyway, should it offer any reassurance, I have just tried texting 65075 from both a Plusnet SIM and a Vodafone SIM and the prompt was the same in both cases: -

Screenshot_20221107-091409.png

Despite this, I'm pretty sure the number doesn't invoke charges (unless perhaps if you're on a plan that charges for standard SMS).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Batphone
Rising Star

Yes, that's the dialogue I got. I just sent the text and about 30 seconds or so later I got the code along with a confirmation that the total charge from EE for "ending the contract early is £0". I am already out of contract. I presume that the changeover happens automatically and I just put the new PlusNet SIM in when I get it and carry on using the same number?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bobpullen wrote:

Despite this, I'm pretty sure the number doesn't invoke charges (unless perhaps if you're on a plan that charges for standard SMS).

@bobpullen 

I'd agree with that statement (in particular the part I've bolded) as in the past I've found several times that it's possible to get a PAC via 65075 on PAYG SIMs (non-PlusNet) with no credit remaining on them, and even where no credit has ever been put on them.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Batphone wrote:

I presume that the changeover happens automatically and I just put the new PlusNet SIM in when I get it and carry on using the same number?

I believe the number transfer takes a day or so following activation of the Plusnet SIM. There's some more info in the FAQ here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Batphone
Rising Star

"following activation of the Plusnet SIM"

That's the bit of information I was after. The help information seems to imply that its 24hrs. If its following the activation of the SIM, then my phone will carry on working on the current providers network until I get the SIM. Otherwise, it will stop working tomorrow morning in which case, the next question would be, how long does it take to receive the SIM?