Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Vista as a Gateway

paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Windows Vista as a Gateway

I'm wondering if anyone else is unlucky enough to be running a Windows Vista PC/laptop on their IPv6 enabled LAN?
One of the most frustrating issues I had getting v6 working was one of the laptops in the house deciding to advertise itself as a default gateway.  With it only being on intermittently it took me a good few days to track the little bugger down.  I didn't get round to doing much investigation into it, just turned off its IPv6 stack and crossed my fingers it will go in the bin before it really needs native v6  Grin
Now we have a few more people on v6 I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen issues or if I'm on my own?
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
5 REPLIES 5
avatastic
Grafter

Re: Windows Vista as a Gateway

Not running Vista anywhere any more (thankfully!), but I wonder if the machine is establishing a teredo tunnel after seeing the IPv6 traffic and thinking it needs to take charge.
Try disabling the teredo client http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-tcpipv6-teredo-tunneling-in-vista/ and see if it still interferes?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

No problems with my parents' Vista laptop but I do remember when I had two tunnels on two different computers, the vista would sometimes override the IPv6 route on the other machine. That was all when I was using the old NetGear (DG834Gv4) router but now with the TG582 giving out the addresses I've not seen this happen in a long while.
I do have the Teredo and latap (I think that's the right spelling but could be wrong) interfaces disabled in the Device Manager.
That's RPM to you!!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Currently running Vista on this laptop, no problems at all with IPv6, suspect something else is the 'problem'.
Running a relatively default setup, nothing significant disabled that runs by default.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

perhaps a stupid question but is the vista machine running in workstation or server mode ?
I seem to recall having problems with vista in that regard some years back (cant remember which version it was running though) but I'd changed the default from workstation to get a bit more oompf out of the thing but its been a few years since it got skipped so memories a bit foggy on the older os's
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: w23
Currently running Vista on this laptop, no problems at all with IPv6, suspect something else is the 'problem'.

Fair enough, must be something with that particular laptop.  Its not technically mine so said person can live with the world of IPv4 till they stump up the cash to move away from the old  Tongue
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer