Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded package now causing connectivity issues

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Upgraded package now causing connectivity issues

Hi Plusnet,

I am currently on the IPv6 trial and yesterday was upgraded from the 40/20 package to 80/20. Since then the quality of connectivity appears to have dropped significantly with speed tests showing downloads of around 25Mbps (I used to get a fairly consistent 38Mbps) but upload practically zero (literally - I seem to have just enough to support downloading but that's it).

Does anything need doing to my IPv6 test account to reflect the change in package? (This is why I posted the query in here rather than the Fibre section) I notice that the line speed listed for the IPv6 account is still at 37Mb (whereas it shows 80Mb for my 'native' account). Or perhaps I just need to reboot the router/modem?

I am not at home at the moment (but still dependent on my connection working) otherwise I'd try changing the login back to my native account and also reboot the router and modem too. If the latter is likely to fix it I could reboot the router remotely but I didn't want to experiment in case I collapse the connection entirely and am then unable to access anything. I can't reboot the modem though (can you?).

Edit: For what it's worth, the availability checker gives the following for expected speed ranges:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 68.4 20 20 -- Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 76.7 48.4 20 14.3 -- Available -- --
12 REPLIES 12
brueton
Grafter

Re: Upgraded package now causing connectivity issues

I am also on the IPv6 trial. When I changed from ADSL to fibre the line speed on my IPv6 account had to be altered manually by Plusnet support.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@MJN Could you drop me a PM with your IPv6 trial username please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MJN
Pro

PM sent.

(What intrigued was that it would be an obvious consequence that even though I've been upgraded to 80/20 I might still only get 40/20 until a barrier was lifted, but to get 25/1 seems odd?)

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It does seem off that you were getting 25/1, I'm not sure why that would be.

I have now changed the speed profile on the IPv6 account, so I'm hoping that should have sorted it for you now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MJN
Pro

Thanks Harry.

It still seemed to be struggling so rebooted the router remotely and lost everything. Fortunately my wife was at home so I got her to power cycle both the router and modem and we're back in business - speed tests are showing 67/18.

Not wishing to dwell on the issue as I am assuming this is just a one-off but any thoughts what might have happened? Might the modem have needed the power cycle to resync or something? Or has it likely always synced at ~67 and the 40 limit is imposed with the profile?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I changed the profile from 40Mbps to 80Mbps.

If you were on 40/20 previously, the wholesale product would have been 80/20 anyway, so as you say, it's likely always been syncing around what it is at the moment and the 40Mbps was a cap on our end in line with the 40/20 package.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MJN
Pro

Hi Harry,

Any chance you take a quick look at this again? As of this morning I seem to have lost all upload speed again. It is particularly frustrating as I never normally have any issues whatsoever (the attached SamKnows graphics illustrates the past 6 month's worth of upload measurements with the detail for the past 2 days). It is only since the package upgrade to 80/20 has this started.

Again I am away from home and so am limited in what I can do/test however I can perform speedtest.net CLI tests:

$ Apps/speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from PlusNet (81.174.168.158)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by Vodafone UK (Newbury) [57.52 km]: 29.039 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 52.72 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 0.00 Mbit/s

(Earlier on the download result was ~30 Mbits/s but I suspect that the variability in this is due to the variability in upload bandwidth to support it)

MJN
Pro

Update @1500hrs:

Upload speed seems to be back to normal:

$ Apps/speedtest-cli
Hosted by Virgin Media (Bristol) [36.66 km]: 21.749 ms
Download: 65.32 Mbit/s
Upload: 18.27 Mbit/s

I am very keen to get to the bottom of these dips if at all possible though as reliability is of utmost importance to me.

MJN
Pro

Grrr... It's come back again:

$ Apps/speedtest-cli 
Hosted by Hub Network Services Ltd (Bristol) [36.66 km]: 25.684 ms
Download: 63.14 Mbit/s
Upload: 0.00 Mbit/s
$ Apps/speedtest-cli Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from PlusNet (81.174.168.158)... Selecting best server based on latency... Hosted by Vodafone UK (Newbury) [57.52 km]: 27.867 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 55.38 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 0.00 Mbit/s

SamKnows results concur (see attached).

brueton
Grafter

Seems OK on my IPv6 account.

In the absence of any recent response from Plusnet staff.

You might have tried the following already.

Non IPv6 account

Different gateway

speedtest-cli
Testing from PlusNet (81.174.168.72)...
Hosted by Virgin Media (Brentford) [8.98 km]: 17.367 ms
Download: 62.99 Mbit/s
Upload: 16.67 Mbit/s

MJN
Pro

Hi Brueton,

I don't think it's an IPv6-related issue, certainly not now that the profile has been raised, and all tests are being doing over IPv4.

With my connection having worked faultlessly for 18 months and only started going wrong since the package change I am pretty sure it is that which has caused it. Given the intermittent nature I don't want to start changing accounts, gateways etc unless it is part of a structured fault find with Plusnet - this is why I feel compelled to report it in this sub-forum given the IPv6 account 'twist'.

Hopefully Harry or a colleague will pick this up on Monday and be able to perform some diagnosis. I don't feel there is much I can do at this end in the meantime other than reporting the speed tests and, besides which, all the kit involved was provided by Plusnet so I'd rather they took the lead and I'll assist wherever possible.

MJN
Pro

I notice that Harry hasn't been online for nearly a week so in case he's on holiday I've raised a general enquiry here.