cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet IPv6 Trial Next Phase

SiPurdy

Re: Plusnet IPv6 Trial Next Phase

I'm up for it.
Currently running on a Fritzbox 3390 with a HE tunnel.
What's the prefix size we're given.
Thanks
Si
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Put me down for a test.
Running the TG589vn v3 with Software Release 10.5.2.F.BK, It is ip6 ready.
I have a mix of equipment downstream some ip6 ready some not.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: SiPurdy
What's the prefix size we're given.

On the trial it's a /56.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
andew

I'll happily help with the trial, i've got a draytek 2850 and a draytek 2920.
Both are suppose to be IPv6 compatible.

Mike_Grice
Grafter

Quote from: andew
I'll happily help with the trial, i've got a draytek 2850 and a draytek 2920.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2830n, it needs a firmware update (I am running 3.6.4) but be careful - the firewall is off by default on my router, so everything on your internal network that picks up a v6 address will be globally routable.  I created a default inbound deny rule on the v6 subnet to cover this off, but could be a nasty surprise if you don't watch for it.
Krazeh
Grafter

I'd like to volunteer. I have the TG582N currently set up to use a 6in4 tunnel through HE.
adhowlett

Love it!
We have a Draytek Vigor2130n, which is IPv6 capable, and are keen on getting IPv6 going ASAP.
Can we be part of the trial please?
SiPurdy

Quote from: dave

On the trial it's a /56.

Not sure that's quite enough for a different ip address for each atom in my house  :).
What's the lead time (if we're accepted)?
BrianC
Dabbler

I've just this minute ordered an upgrade from ADSL to Fibre which is due to be installed on 19th Dec, but if that doesn't exclude me, I'd like to be in!
Have a variety of kit I can play with, including small PC with pfsense to do PPPoE, and I also have access to a bunch of remote IPv6 hosts and VMs.
(I also have a static IP but can live without that temporarily)
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: BrianC
(I also have a static IP but can live without that temporarily)

My reading of the intent is that you will still be getting a static IP address, it's just that it'll be different from your current one and will be from the dynamic pool (but never change!).
Estragon
Rising Star

Surely being on the IPv6 trial implies occasional disconnections/reboots of the router? In which case the v4 address would change. Didn't it used to change periodically anyway, when on dynamic?
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It being a trial doesn't necessarily mean discontinuous service. Indeed, I seem to recall that the last IPv6 trial proceeded largely without interruption, apart from the capability being pulled without telling anyone but then arguably the trial was at that point over! 😉
Besides, even with disconnections it is still possible to assign the same address from a dynamic pool. This is a common modus operandi on cable networks where you can end up with the same address for many months despite reboots.
I obviously can't speak for what's going to happen, but this could be illustrative of the special configuration to be put in place hence why the usual service management processes won't be appropriate.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Indeed, and what I'd expect is that customers with a static address will just have "an address" from the same pool(s) as everyone else - except that the address is locked to that customer rather than changing with each connection. In most situations, I'd imagine it's actually more work to have a separate pool for static addresses.
My guess is that they've now got as far as testing the "back end" stuff that will serve up configs etc to customers having learned from the earlier trial - so once the config is entered then it'll work just as the final service should. But they won't yet have built the front end systems to do the configs easily/automatically - hence the "manual config" part of it. IMO this is indeed good news, as it suggests they are now much closer to having a permanent service in place. Presumably, as long as the trial doesn't throw up any major problems, their next step will be to start building the front end and management stuff before offering the service to everyone.
But that is just (slightly) educated guesswork.
shadow4dog
Grafter

I'd like to be considered for the ipv6 trial too please.
I have an ASUS N66U running Tomato and currently use HE in my current dual stack setup.
Thanks
Tim
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
Also interested. Currently on the FTTP trial and using an Asus N66U.
Thanks
Andy