Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenWrt, DG834G v2 and ipv6

brueton
Grafter

Has anyone tried the above?
I have an old DG834v2 and instead of throwing it away am thinking about installing OpenWrt on it.
PB
6 REPLIES 6
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: OpenWRT, DG834G v2 and ipv6

I've certainly used OpenWRT and IPv6, but on a WRT54GL. Only as a client though so quite possibly not relevent to your question at all! Wink
Mathew
pcmanning
Grafter

I'm running OpenWRT 10.03 on a WRT54G hooked up to a Vigor 120 modem over PPPoA - so far I've not had it collect an IPv6 address - haven't had time to debug it properly yet, but I suspect the Vigor isn't playing ball - I've got a newer firmware than the one the release notes say fixes an ipv6 issue, so may roll back to see if they broke the fix in the current version!!
Paul
pcmanning
Grafter

Done some more work with this, and it seems my WRT54G (version 2) is only capable of running OpenWRT with a 2.4 kernel and as such isn't capable of running some of the elements needed for this to work.  Posted in the OpenWRT forums but no responses so far Sad
If your box will run the 2.6 kernel I'm sort of expecting things to work.
Maybe time to dip into the gadget fund and get a new router - OpenWRT again or not that's the question.
Paul 
brueton
Grafter

I have not been able to get a unit that will boot, had to restore the Netgear firmware a couple of times now.
Trying a few other options. Will provide an update if I make any progress.
I may give up on this project for now.
My Billion 7800N is working with ipv6, seems to  be a good route (!!!!) to follow, at least for the time being.
I am sure other hardware suppliers will catch up at some time in  the future.
This lack of hardware support for ipv6 seems to be the biggest "stumbling block" for consumer use of the protocol.
Many thanks to PlusNet staff for their work, so far, on ipv6, it is early days for consumer adoption
of the protocol. I expect that there is a lot more work required before it becomes mainstream.
Nice be involved in the tests etc. that are required before it can progress to the next stage.
I am sure that the experience gained will be invaluable in the years to come as ipv6 becomes ever more widespread.
PB
brueton
Grafter

I now have a DG834v2 running OpenWrt 10.03.1  Smiley
The next step is to configure it.
(The problem was that ethernet port 4 is the only one active until configuration changes are made, I was using port 1)

PB
pcmanning
Grafter

Re: OpenWrt, DG834G v2 and ipv6

Good luck - I had to install and config wide-dhcpv6-client and radvd to get ip6 working, also ip6tables to get some protection
Paul