Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ofcom Releases Report on IPv6

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Erion"]
Ofcom Releases Report on IPv6
Ofcom has just published a report on IPv6; MC-111 Internet Protocol Version 6 Deployment Study.
One of the author’s of the report, Erion’s Dr David Holder said;
“This important report again demonstrates the need for the UK to move faster towards the widespread deployment of IPv6. The UK is lagging behind all comparable nations in the move to IPv6. This will have an impact on the nature and quality of Internet services in the UK, which will have consequences for UK businesses and consumers alike.
“Ofcom should be commended for commissioning and publishing this report.”
For further information on IPv6 in the UK and deploying IPv6 in your environment please contact us at Erion and we could be happy to help.

and
[quote="Erion"]
Carrier Grade NAT Report from Ofcom has Implications for IPv6 Roll Out
Today Ofcom released a report into the Implications of Carrier Network Address Translators.
One of the author’s of the report, Erion’s Dr David Holder said;
“This report is the most comprehensive analysis of the implications of Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) deployment ever carried out. The report demonstrates that CGN deployment has the potential to have a negative impact on a surprisingly widespread and disparate set of groups, consisting of users, service providers, law-enforcement and policy makers.
“One of the most interesting findings that came out of writing this report, was that all parties involved, from service providers to application providers, are reluctant to deploy CGN and emphasised that IPv6 is the only real long term solution to the IPv4 address exhaustion problem. Even more interesting, we found that large ISPs that have deployed CGN used the parallel deployment of IPv6 to mitigate some of the negative impact of CGN deployment.”
“Deploying IPv6 in parallel to CGN provides Internet users with a native IPv6 path to the Internet thereby bypassing the issues caused by CGN. The Service Providers we talked about who have deployed IPv6 to their customers have found that even today over 30% of these customer’s traffic is now native IPv6. This is an amazing figure when you consider who much of the Internet is not yet IPv6 enabled and it reflects the fact that many of the Internet’s biggest players have already deployed IPv6.”
Ofcom should be commended for commissioning and releasing this valuable resource.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ofcom Releases Report on IPv6

Thanks 'Midnight Caller', that makes interesting reading !.

Here is the link to the report - MC/111Internet Protocol Version 6 Deployment Study

It is interesting to watch Google's IPv6 adoption graph - http://www.google.com/ipv6/statistics.html
which is showing that global IPv6 usage has reached 2.5% and is doubling approximately every nine months.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

>> ... have found that even today over 30% of these customer’s traffic is now native IPv6. This is an amazing figure when you consider who much of the Internet is not yet IPv6 enabled …
I am not in the least surprised by that. Consider that for a lot of people the internet == Google + Facebook + Youtube, and all 3 of those are IPv6 enabled, and it's hardly surprising that a large % of traffic from mIPv6 enabled users is now IPv6.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having upgraded my router this week to one that keeps track of traffic types, over the last 3 days of typical usage,
I can see that my connection used 54.8% of all internet traffic as IPv6.
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

Purleigh, what router is that? That sounds like it might be rather interesting to pick up and have a play with.
Anonymous
Not applicable

pfSense 2.1
I built mine into a box that looks similar to this -
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: purleigh
I can see that my connection used 54.8% of all internet traffic as IPv6.

That seems like a decent figure.  If you take into account that the majority of the more popular websites/content providers are already IPv6 enabled (Google/Akamai/Facebook...) and when Youtube when down a bit back the figure of 40% of global traffic was in the media 56% for an 'average' home user seems about right.  Either way its a good stat to have  Grin
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
Anonymous
Not applicable

While using an IPv6 tunnel has minimal performance impact (compared to IPv4), I would still rather be using native IPv6 with Plusnet, instead of relying on a large American IP transit company (for my 6in4 tunnel) who potentially could be feeding my internet connection directly to the NSA.
Come on Plusnet, when are you going to provide dual stacked native IPv6 on our broadband connections ?