Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

We're currently running an IPv6 trial. At the moment the trial is closed to new applicants, should we have additional space we post a new thread asking for volunteers.
To the people taking part in the trial, here are a few useful links to test that you've got IPv6 set up:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ipv6/
http://ipv6-test.com/
http://testmyipv6.com/
Your accounts will have a single static IPv4 and a /56 Ipv6. Our DNS platform has yet to be upgraded to IPv6 so you will be assigned Hurricane Electric's DNS servers when you connect.
We've set up peering and transit over v4 and v6 but it's possible that some sites will take a different route over v6 to v4 as we don't peer with everyone over v6 that we peer with over v4 or they may host their v4 site at a different location to the v6.
We welcome all feedback on the trial, it would be helpful for everyone if you have any issues or questions to start a new thread within this trial for each issue.
Thanks,
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
136 REPLIES 136
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Re: IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

Well I've had my first test session.
On the upside, I can report that "it works".
On the downside there are some issues which I can't identify right now without a bit more testing. Things that seem to "just use IPv6" when using my HE tunnel don't seem to work as well with the Plusnet test account. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ipv6 consistently reports that I'm using IPv6 via HE tunnel, tends to report IPv4 (but it switches occasionally to IPv6) using Plusnet. Much the same story with http://ipv6-test.com.
As I say, I need to do more tests, which my mind is past doing tonight Crazy
Router details: Debian Linux Wheezy, 2.6.32, running as guest under Xen on HP Microserver (N36L model IIRC), with Shorewall & Shorewall6 to configure firewall rules. Wide-dhcp client to get prefix delegation from Plusnet (though I'm manually configuring addresses at the moment). As of Wednesday, using Openreach VDSL modem on FTTC Smiley
The other thing it's reminded me of is how much of a PITA it is renumbering your network Roll_eyes
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

What browser / OS are you using to test Simon? I noted you mentioned using Safari in an earlier post (in my DNS issues thread), if you're using that on OSX 10.7 and above then it will indeed flip between IPv6 and IPv4 as it has a tendency to "use whichever is quickest". Best to check with another browser to be sure.
That's RPM to you!!
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Tried Firefox as well - got similar results.
As I said, I need to to more testing, and in particular make sure I've not made a silly config error !
I'll also need to put some time into tidying things up a bit. At present I have a long list of commands I copy & paste to switch between configs, but that only deals with the connectivity. It doesn't deal with renumbering internal devices, eg the servers that need to change from <prefix1>::21 to <prefix2>::21 and so on, nor does it alter the DNS. Once the IPv6 service is live then it's not an issue as it'll be a once only change to do manually.
I have established that Plusnet still need a DHCP6 client on my connection before they'll route IPv6.
In case anyone is interested, this is the list of steps I currently have to switch from my normal to test configs :
/etc/init.d/radvd stop
ip addr del <prefix1>::1/64 dev eth0
ifdown he-ipv6
ifdown plusnet
shorewall clear
shorewall6 clear
ifup plusnet-ipv6
sleep 10
shorewall -q start
dhcp6c -d -D -f ppp12 &
sleep 5
ip addr add <prefix2>00::1/64 dev eth0
ip addr add <prefix2>ff::1/64 dev ppp12
ip -6 route add default dev ppp12
/etc/init.d/radvd start
shorewall6 -q start
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Well, with the help of Mr Google I'm slowly getting there with reconfiguring the TG582n. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121285.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

<deleted>
w23
Pro

Looking OK here.
Thinkbroadband IPv6 readiness test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ipv6/test-ipv6.html# reports:
10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
10/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
Test with IPv4 DNS record ok (2.842s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record ok (1.603s) using ipv6
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6 ok (1.508s) using ipv6
Test with Dual Stack DNS record ok (1.878s) using ipv6
Test IPv4 without DNS ok (2.098s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 without DNS ok (1.630s) using ipv6
Test IPv6 large packet ok (1.625s) using ipv6
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dave
We welcome all feedback on the trial, it would be helpful for everyone if you have any issues or questions to start a new thread within this trial for each issue.

You may get more visibility (and be helpful for others) if you start a new thread for each router type...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Good idea.
[iurl=http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121285.0.html]TG582n[/iurl]
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

After some initial issues getting the Billion 7800N working, and the 3 sites Dave posted about confirming everything is looking right, I've not really done any more testing, since it's been quite a busy weekend, though the connection has been used a fair bit, we haven't really noticed any difference (which is obviously a good thing).  I'm not sure how much of the traffic would have been IPv6, but there was definatelty some time on google.  I've not mentioned it to the wife yet, but she hasn't commented on any problems yet.
Thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro

Ping monitor up and running (once I worked out to use the router's assigned address and not the PC or the prefix):
My Broadband Ping
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Picnic
Grafter

Note to self, check here more often - if not you'll miss the trial Sad
w23
Pro

At the moment the trial is closed to new applicants, should we have additional space we post a new thread asking for volunteers.

@ Picnic, maybe still a chance later on (or maybe the trial will prove a total success and we'll all be offered IPv6 on our standard accounts).
Call me 'w23'
SiPurdy

We're currently running an IPv6 trial. At the moment the trial is closed to new applicants, should we have additional space we post a new thread asking for volunteers.

Missed out on the first batch of accounts  :(, would be nice if people who volunteered in the first batch where first in the queue for the second batch.
andybailey
Dabbler

Doh! Looks like I've missed out on the trial too. Must pop in here more often!
If you have more trial slots available I keen to have a go! I've got a Cisco RV180 router- supposed to be fully IPv6 compatible and one I've not seen mention so far! Might be a good one to add to the test list  Cheesy