cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withholding Number on ALL calls

FIXED
Abbott

Withholding Number on ALL calls

An elderly relative has had to change his phone number twice in the last few weeks. He is at risk from harm by some individuals and we must do what we can to prevent them getting his number again. We have Call Protect to block unwanted numbers and I have shown him how to use 141 to withhold his number but he may struggle to remember to do this each time he makes a call. He is fairly immobile and often takes a while to get to the phone when it rings so has a tendency to dial 14713 - at which point his number appears to the person he's calling.
BT offer a blanket "number withheld" service. PlusNet advisor told me there is no such provision available. I read on a forum that there should be. Can anyone help me with advice on this? I really need to do everything I can to protect him from these people and prevent anyone being able to have his number unless they are trusted individuals. Meanwhile, he is missing out on calling people for social interaction because there's such a worry the number will fall in to wrong hands.
3 REPLIES 3
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Withholding Number on ALL calls

@Abbott wrote:
PlusNet advisor told me there is no such provision available. I read on a forum that there should be.

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

Number Withheld is not an advertised service, but it is available, though not all advisors are aware of it.

When this topic is seen by one of the PN Help Team they will be able to arrange its provision. You can opt for permanent withheld, or with override for individual calls with the prefix 1470.

Recent posts would suggest that the team are under pressure just now, so there may not be a response until after the weekend.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi @Abbott

I'm really sorry for how long it's taken to get back to you. We've been quite busy recently so it's taking longer than we'd like to reply.

As @198kHz has advised above this is something we can offer but it isn't common knowledge as it's not often requested.

I've sent you a separate PM regarding this as well. If you can respond to that with their account details I'll get it added on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Fix

@MatthewWheeler wrote:

...this is something we can offer but it isn't common knowledge as it's not often requested.

One has to wonder how many customers accept it as gospel when advised that they can't have it?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)