cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to the message indicator symbol on my handset?

diamo
Grafter

What has happened to the message indicator symbol on my handset?

Hi
I have just joined Plusnet and I'm pleased to report that the phone and broadband has transferred without a hitch.  The only problem is that I no longer get a message symbol on my handset when someone leaves a message.  Can someone tell my why this symbol does not appear. Do I have to record a personal message to get this to happen.

28 REPLIES 28
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: What has happened to the message indicator symbol on my handset?

Does your handset have a built-in answer machine?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
diamo
Grafter

Thanks for replying Matthew
I have 2 handsets and a combined charger and answer phone unit but I never switch on the answer phone. This was the same set up as with Talk Talk and if someone left a message a little message indicator would appear beside the charge indicator on each handset. This meant you could just glance at the handset to see if a message had been left. I thought this was common in  the UK.  I would like this feature back as soon as possible.  My phone set is Panasonic if that is any help.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

We have a set of Panasonic cordless phones and there is a symbol but it's for call not answered not message left.  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
itsme
Grafter

Some handsets have a MWI, Message Waiting Indicator, and a quick search suggest that some did see it on Talk Talk even though support did not support this. BT web site say only a interrupted dial tone is used to indicate a new message.
But the manual for BT Decor handset states
[quote=http://www2.bt.com/static/i/media/pdf/decor_1571_userguide.pdf]If you have subscribed to BT’s BT
Answer 1571 or Call Minder, your
BT Decor 1571 will indicate when
you have received a voice message
by the message waiting indicator
light flashing
So it may work if you pay for 1571 Extra
itsme
Grafter

Further reading of the Decor manual suggest that the MWI light use the interrupted dial tone to work out if a message have been left. So you have to use the phone before the indicator will come on.
The message waiting indicator
is activated by a stuttered dial
tone which you can hear when
you pick up your phone. BT
Calling Features, such as Call
Diversion
and Call Barring use
a stuttered dial
tone so therefore
will cause the message waiting
indicator to flash even if no
messages have been left
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

The BT Decor phones go "off hook" every 30 minutes from the last "use" to check for the interrupted dial tone.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I suspect it's something simpler, do you have caller display on your line? By default PlusNet seem to have it off, as they charge for it.
diamo
Grafter

I suspect this is the answer but I didn't pay for caller display with TT as they offered it free as part of their efforts in helping customers avoid nuisance calls.  Perhaps Plusnet could explain if this is the reason I'm not seeing the symbol.  Because I have a full digital phone book, most calls display the callers name so it is not really necessary to pay for it as an extra to see who is calling.
[Moderator's note by Mike (Mav):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You will need Caller Display active for your phone to know the number of the caller and match it to a name to display.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes, but ..... I have Caller display on my plusnet line, but my phone does not display if someone has left a voicemail.  I can only find out if there is a voicemail, by interrupted dial tone.  There is no display to indicate that there is voicemail for me.
[Moderator's note by Mike (Mav):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
diamo
Grafter

Because I have most numbers in my phone book, the name and number displays when I receive a call from someone in my book.  I have no need for caller display to see who is calling me and do not pay for it. I do need to see if a message is waiting without having to listen to a dial tone or dial 1571 to check if there is a message. It can't  be rocket science to work this our.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: diamo
Because I have most numbers in my phone book, the name and number displays when I receive a call from someone in my book.  I have no need for caller display to see who is calling me and do not pay for it. .... It can't  be rocket science ...

So how does that work?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Posting what make and model of the base station and handsets would help identify how the MWI is supposed to work on your phone?
There is no signalling sent from BT exchanges other than broken dial tone to indicate a message is waiting on the 1571 service.  As an aside, as others have said, you'll need caller ID enabled on your line so that your phone then receives the number of the person calling you in order to look this up against the phonebook details that you have stored.  Caller ID in the UK does not send name data as well as numbers.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Your phone can't display who is calling if you don't subscribe to Caller display, some ISP's give it away but charge more on line rental, PlusNet charge 99p.You can turn it on via the Home Phone Control Panel.