Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange dial tone and flashing red light on phone

FIXED
donmaico6
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Strange dial tone and flashing red light on phone

The dial tone surges up and down as if it is trying to tell me something.I dialled 1571 and was told a message had been moved ot 1572 which I also dialled and took the first option which is to divert to a list of unwanted callers.I thought that would end the matter but the light still flashes and the odd dialling tone persists.I have the phone number but am reluctant to phone it in case it is a  scam.I googled it and cant get any satisfactory information about it.Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Strange dial tone and flashing red light on phone

Hi @donmaic06,

Thank you for getting in touch. I've tested your line and it's not picking any problems up from this side.

It sounds like this may be a handset specific issue, for example the voicemail may have been stored on the handset rather than on our voicemail service which would explain why the light on the phone is flashing.

I'd recommend that you consult the manufacturer about this as they should be able to determine the cause of the problem. Alternatively, if you put the make and model of the handset on this thread there may be someone on the forum that owns the same one and is able to offer some advice on this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

donmaico6
Grafter

the phone is a BT Decor 2500/.From  memory we didnt subscribe to BT (our previous provider) for call minder rather we use the phones own in built answering capability, the phones window is telling .  "MsGs dial 1571" so i did that and i them message I got was "you have no new 1572 messages". Now that "MsGs dial 1571" no longer appears on the window and the ;light has stopped flashing but the odd dialling noise continues

donmaico6
Grafter

the red light is flashing again .Possibly a faulty phone?

donmaico6
Grafter

i disconnected and reconnected the phone from the mains, Light has stopped flashing for awhile but returned and  the surging dialling tone continues.I checked both 1571 and 1572 and there are no messages in either. Whoever dialled used a vodafone mobile as it's 07776336330, a number i cannot trace

donmaico6
Grafter

Fix

it seems i have somehow resolved the issue. Someone sent me text message tio my landline which i then deleted .The noise continued until I   set up a new greeting message /.Now all is well .Thanks anyway

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm glad to see this is sorted now.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet