Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screening Calls

FIXED
spickeri
Hooked

Screening Calls

We have just moved to Plusnet from TalkTalk.   Unfortunately for us some time ago our details must have been stolen when TT was hacked.  Since then we have had persistent calls from scammers (mainly Indian) attempting to gain access to our computers.  Each time they phoned it was either a withheld number or a completely different one which meant we couldn't just block a specific number.  Our GP uses a withheld number so we can't block them.

What we found to be invaluable to us at TalkTalk was their CallSafe product which we could access for free.  This is how it works (see below) and to us it seems better to put the numbers that we WISH to accept on our account and have a choice about others.  

My question to Plusnet is - could you please adopt a similar system for your customers?  We are now being plagued by these scammers, 3 calls today alone but it can be more. CallSafe stopped all these calls.

How CallSafe works

Every time you get a call, CallSafe checks to make sure it's someone you want to hear from. The caller is then either:

• Approved and put straight through to you.
  • Blocked so that your phone doesn't ring.
  • Screened to confirm who they are.

Numbers that you've dialled more than once in the last 35 days will automatically be Approved, and any numbers you've barred using Last Caller Barring will be blocked.

When a call is screened, the caller is asked to record their name. CallSafe will then play it back to you and you choose how to handle the call. Unwanted callers usually hang up at this stage because they don't want to leave their details.

8 REPLIES 8
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Screening Calls

Fix

Plusnet appear to offer the same or very similar features - https://www.plus.net/help/phone/stop-nuisance-calls/

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

If you want your own setup then buy a new phone that incorporates an answering machine and BT's Advanced Call Blocker such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Machine/dp/B01CP2DT5I.

I have had the earlier 8500 model for years and in all that time have not received a single nuisance call.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spickeri
Hooked

DS:   Thanks for your reply.  We have the ability to stop nuisance calls by blocking that particular number but they have endless different numbers.  It's almost as though they can make up their own numbers or it's just that many, many scammers have our details, including name!  Sometimes numbers are withheld and we are reluctant to block these as our GP's number is withheld.  The TalkTalk system was good in that we made a list of family and friends on their website.  Numbers outside these would be screened in that they would be asked by a message to quote their name and we would then get this message via TT and could accept or not. We had no unsolicited calls whilst on this service.  Just with Plusnet would adopt it!

spickeri
Hooked

Baldrick1  Thanks for this. I've just looked this phone up and it does seem to do exactly what CallSafe did.  It appears that we list the numbers we wish to receive which is exactly what we need.  Thanks for this.  One question though - we have a cordless phone along with a corded one.  If we replaced the cordless one with the one you suggest and we left the corded one plugged in, would the this one still allow the unwanted calls through?  It's quite a new phone so loathe to get rid of it!  Thanks once again for your help.

spickeri
Hooked

Hi DS    I have looked further into this feature and am trying Do Not Disturb and I see I am able to list VIP numbers meaning people I wish to accept calls from. Sorted!!!!  

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Sorry for the delay @spickeri, it was one of those days yesterday!

Glad to hear it appears to be sorted, oh, and welcome to the forums btw Wink

You'll have to update us with how it goes (plus it'll help future readers too).

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@spickeri wrote:

One question though - we have a cordless phone along with a corded one.  If we replaced the cordless one with the one you suggest and we left the corded one plugged in, would the this one still allow the unwanted calls through? 

If you leave the corded one connected then I assume that it will let unwanted calls through. Whilst I appreciate what you say I would buy a twin handset version and keep the corded one for emergencies as the cordless versions will not work if you have a power cut.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spickeri
Hooked

Hi  Going very well so far - no scammers have got through today.  Must admit we did have a bit of fun with them leading them on as though we were being taken in! However, it does get a bit wearing when they ring early mornings!

Have now added all friends a family numbers to our VIP list and got the Do Not Disturb service switched on.  Great!

Once again thanks for the help received.   I had done a on line chat and not got as much help there so I'm very grateful to you all.