cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales calls

Emily137

Sales calls

So I moved house and Plusnet installed a new line in the property.

I have no use for a landline phone as I use my mobile whether I’m in or out, but my mother said it was expensive for her to call my mobile, so I bought a phone and gave the number to her.

I have never even written the number down other than on the side of her phone, it has never been entered online, it has never been provided to anyone but her.

Why am I getting sales calls all the damn time? Have I agreed in the terms and conditions for my number to be sold or otherwise distributed? I’m furious, I would switch the phone off but in case of emergency I need to know if my mother is trying to call, am I wasting my time asking Plusnet how this is the case or will I actually get answers?
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Sales calls

Numbers,get reused these days, so if you were allocated a new landline number,it could wel have beenl usedby someone else previously

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Emily137 Following from @MisterW 's comments - are these 'sales' calls automated or 'live' people?

If only your mother is likely to ring on the landline, my experience suggests that if you ignore the other numbers, eventually they will reduce dramatically over a shortish time - or even cease. I used to get a large volume of such calls, but I now get maybe one or two a month, if that.

John
Emily137

Thanks for your response, my phone doesn’t have a display, I went for a basic one on the basis I didn’t need caller ID as only my mother would be calling it, they are live calls yes, thank you for the advice, I suppose I’ll live with it or go out and buy a new phone, just wish I new about the recycling of numbers beforehand.
Emily137

Thanks for the reply, I just wish I knew this fact sooner! I’d have bought a phone with a display so I could see who was calling.
Emily137

One more question if I may, I asked the last caller where he got this number and he said it’s in the business directory, does this mean my number was formerly associated with a business and this is what’s causing these kinds of calls? If that’s the case can I ask to change my number?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

You could ask for a change of number, but as the 'new' one would also probably be recycled, there is no guarantee you wouldn't have the same problem. In my opinion, a phone with caller display would be an easier solution.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Emily137 wrote:
can I ask to change my number?

You can, but unless you can show that you're being specifically targeted by 'malicious' calls and get the law involved, it's going to cost around £35 last time I saw a figure quoted.

As @jab1 says, you'll quite possibly get another ex-business number.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

You might want to activate the free caller protect service from Plusnet (1572).

I believe you can turn on Do not disturb mode and then just add your mother's (and anyone else you'd like to be able to call you) number as a VIP number.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@mrmitch85 Yes, it looks like that's the case. 🙂

Call Protect PDF

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)