cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-activating an old phone line (New customer)

Rik13
Grafter

Re-activating an old phone line (New customer)

If you have a BT phone line to your home which is not active, but all the sockets are there and the line is still connected to the house. What is the procedure for signing up for a Plusnet calls and Broadband package?
A family member had the line deactivated a few years ago and was only using a mobile phone, but circumstances changed and now would like a lindline and internet access.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Re-activating an old phone line (New customer)

I think the process is the same whether or not there's a line to the house. In this case, although there is a line to the house it might not go even as far as the cabinet.
I think given the address and postcode the provisioning team will find out what assets are currently in place and what needs doing to provide a working line. Whether an installation charge is payable depends on what that shows.
David
Rik13
Grafter

Thanks for that info . Not sure what you mean by the cabinet , but I know nothing in the house has been disturbed & the phones were working a few years ago when they just stopped using and paying for the service from BT . I don't think anyone came and physically did anything at the house , I'm assuming it was just disabled at the exchange somehow and their phone number terminated?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The cabinet referred to would be one of these type of objects somewhere nearby in your area where you telephone line goes to before heading off to the exchange.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Try plugging a phone in and seeing if you get dial tone.  If you do then the line has been stopped but is still connected and it is straightforward (and free) to get the line working again,
Rik13
Grafter

great thanks again, we'll try that