cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone problem - rectified loop?

MehItsMe

Phone problem - rectified loop?

Hi all,
Intermittently (but fairly often) my phones will only ring once but from the caller’s point of view it sounds like the call has been answered. If I answer the call after the phone has stopped ringing everything works perfectly & outgoing calls aren't affected. I'm currently not using my master socket but have phone on one extension & broadband on the other.
I discovered that if I unscrew the faceplate of the master socket & connect the phone (via a filter) to the test socket incoming calls consistently work as they should do. However, if I connect the filter & phone to either of the extensions the problem comes back.
I'm not really a phone person but some research suggests that this may be a "rectified loop"; does this sound correct? I've read some horror stories about BT charging an arm & a leg to fix this sort of thing, so if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way of getting this resolved they would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
4 REPLIES 4
AlexD
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Phone problem - rectified loop?

Hi MehItsMe,
I can see that a fault has been found on your line. Really sorry to hear this, I know it's frustrating.
The fault is expected to be fixed by 06/11/2014 and we will update Ticket: 93980202 once we have more information for you.
Fault diagnostics indicate that this is an external issue. We shouldn't be charging a fee so please don't worry about that.
Many thanks
Alex Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
MehItsMe

Someone from Openreach came round on Wednesday and "fixed" the problem. It's now noticeably worse.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Check any internal wiring for shorts or wet wires, my uncle had a similar issue that turned out to be a disused sky-monkey bodge-installed extension that got wet (excessively damp house) and corroded the BT plug to the point where it was shorting the line out enough so it would appear to have been answered after a very short ring, after I pulled the sky-monkey bodge wiring out the line worked perfectly 'til the day he moved out... Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

HI,
I've just followed up on this and the line still appears to be in error (with the need for an engineer to visit you). If you are still having problems, can you please reply to the ticket on your account with a suitable day for the visit and we'll get this picked up.
Engineers are generally available Monday to Friday in morning slots (0800 while 1300) or afternoon slots (1300-1800hours).
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team