cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatability

FIXED
thePParchivist

Phone compatability

Prior to the copper switch-off I want to replace my phones. I have in mind the BT Advance with four handsets. Will this be compatible with VOIP on Plusnet?

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Phone compatability

@thePParchivist PN are not offering a VoIP service - you will need to arrange your own, so I would ask whoever you choose as your VoIP supplier the question.

John
thePParchivist

Thanks for that. I may have my terminology mixed up, but I understand I can plug my phone into the appropriate socket on the back of my PN router. That’s what I had in mind.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

Fix

@thePParchivist 

Once the service has gone digital there are two handset types that can be used:

1. Digital IP phone.

2, Your existing analogue phone via an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA). This is the most popular option. Many routers come with a built in ATA. This will work fine with 4 handset DECT phones such as the BT range.

Whilst there is a socket on the Plusnet router, this does not function. As has been pointed out by @jab1 , Plusnet are not providing a digital phone service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

No, you can't, the PN Hubs VoIP capabilities are disabled.

John
thePParchivist

Thanks, Baldrick1, that was helpful.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"Your existing analogue phone via an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA). This is the most popular option. Many routers come with a built in ATA. This will work fine with 4 handset DECT phones such as the BT range."

Do you know how such a solution would work with 3 handset Panasonic model KX-TGC220E?

Just asking for a friend who doesn't want to needlessly throw away currently functioning hardware.

thePParchivist

Thanks, greygit1.

Sorry, I can't answer your query about Panasonic phones.

jab1
Legend

@greygit1 wrote:

"Your existing analogue phone via an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA). This is the most popular option. Many routers come with a built in ATA. This will work fine with 4 handset DECT phones such as the BT range."

Do you know how such a solution would work with 3 handset Panasonic model KX-TGC220E?

Just asking for a friend who doesn't want to needlessly throw away currently functioning hardware.

Simple - the base station plugs into the ATA.

John