cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone (even when plugged into master socket) + phone does not ring + poor internet speeds...

simoncross
Hooked

No dial tone (even when plugged into master socket) + phone does not ring + poor internet speeds...

I am having really poor internet speeds lately, so when I went to check the phones dial tone, there was none.  Also tried plugging the cabled phone directly into the master socket, nothing!  If I try to ring the landline from my mobile, it rings through on my mobile but there is no ringing coming from the house telephone.  Also my internet is really slow with the line attenuation sky-rocketing from a previous 11.7 to a now high 40.8?... 

PS: already tried the online phoneline troubleshooter - result comes back 'unclear' and sends me into an endless loop of being told to wait and retry Sad

Please Help! 

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: No dial tone (even when plugged into master socket) + phone does not ring + poor internet speeds

@simoncross Welcome to the forums - you have a major problem there, and the only sensible suggestion I can make is to ring PN as soon after they open in the morning as possible and report your PHONE LINE as defective.

Just in case the phone troubleshooter has already raised the issue - it does have the habit of reporting an error when it has actually worked - check your Members Centre for an open 'Question' on the subject.

John
simoncross
Hooked

Re: No dial tone (even when plugged into master socket) + phone does not ring + poor internet speeds

Good evening, and thanks for your response.  There is no ticket in the members section, as the online fault finder tool does not work and gets stuck in a loop telling you that it was 'inconclusive' and to please try again, or call support (which are shut).  

I guess I will have to ring them tomorrow while im at work, but i'm guessing there gonna want me to be in before they can assist?  Got a lot on over next few days so going to be difficult to be at home and sat on phone to support for hours during open hours Sad  

Been problem after problem while being with plusnet it seems to go down and fail every other month.  

Kind Regards:  Simon Cross

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Simon, reading your post, so long as you verbally make them aware of the problem, they can carry out automated tests from their end - you will not necessarily have to be in at this point, but no doubt you will have to be if they arrange an engineer visit, which from the above and your original post seems almost inevitable.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@simoncross 

Your symptoms are typical of either one of the two telephone wires to your property being disconnected or the two shorted together.

To make sure the fault is not your responsibility have you taken the front off the BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws, and checked that you have no dial tone with a telephone plugged into the test socket, which you will find in the back box?

Plusnet resell services provided by Openreach, faults like this are not of Plusnet’s making and will occur regardless of which ISP you choose.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like it might be a case of one leg of the circuit is disconnected.

i.e. the phone will stop working, but the DSL can continue to work albeit at reduced speed.

Edit:  @Baldrick1 beat me by a couple of seconds Smiley

simoncross
Hooked

Hi, and thanks for the reply... yes, I am connected directly to the master socket -
Like I say, no dial tone but slow internet speeds amd your online line check tool fails to work.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@simoncross 

To be sure you need to be connected to the Test socket, that's the one in the rear section of the Master socket, accessed by taking the front off.

To avoid confusion, all we who have responded to you are fellow customers trying to help, so it's not our on line check tool.

If you get no response from a Plusnet Staffer, who clearly identify themselves when they occassionally visit this forum, report a fault at https://faults.plus.net or ring in.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: No dial tone (even when plugged into master socket) + phone does not ring + poor internet spe...

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community forums @simoncross 

I'm sorry for the issues with your line. I can see you've spoken with an adviser not long ago and we've raised the fault with Openreach, having been given an estimated response time of by 03/06/21 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out. 

@RobPN Our tests aren't actually showing a 'dis one leg' but a full 'dis in network' so it's a little odd. We'll see what the engineer reports back with once they've investigated and hopefully been able to fix the problem quickly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: No dial tone (even when plugged into master socket) + phone does not ring + poor internet spe...

@simoncross 

Are you on FTTC or ADSL?

If ADSL then given @Gandalf 's observation, it is astounding that you have any internet at all.  ADSL can limp along with one leg disconnected but not both.

If FTTC then the full disconnection advised above must be on the e-side circuit (cabinet to exchange) which is not used for FTTC broadband.  If you are on FTTC and have some internet connectivity, then you might have more than one fault to be investigated.  Such could well be the cause of the confused automatic line test result.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simoncross
Hooked

Townman - Yes it is ADSL I do believe (did have fibre, but given it was only a couple of mb/s difference decided to downgrade to ADSL).
Yes I was totally confused myself, how can there be internet (albeit much slower than usual) without any dial tone whatsoever? I mean, when you lift the handset up it's just completely dead - and its a really old one too which is not even touch tone so pretty basic really with nothing to go wrong with it...
simoncross
Hooked

Thank you Gandalf for the clarification on the fault - this is weird because if the line was total disconnected then there be no adsl right? I'm currently getting barely 3mb/s whereas it would normally be 13-18 mb/s, with a line attenuation of around 12, but is currently just over 40 I have attached 2 screenshots of the customer service screen from the plusnet router - one from yesterday and another from 2 month ago shortly after the last fault got resolved
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to me @simoncross 

Line tests we run remotely aren't an exact science I'm afraid so it's possible that the line's not completely disconnected because your broadband's still working albeit slowly. Let's see what the engineer finds when they've been out Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@simoncross wrote:
... how can there be internet (albeit much slower than usual) without any dial tone whatsoever? I mean, when you lift the handset up it's just completely dead

To get dial tone on picking up the handset or ring tone on the number being called requires continuity on both the A and B legs of the circuit pair.

If just one side of the circuit is disconnected, you will get neither dial tone nor ring tones, but ADSL can limp along on the side which remains connected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simoncross
Hooked

Oh wow, firstly I would just like to point out that I only contacted plusnet this morning around 8AM, got phone call on mobile while at work around 14.30 from open reach engineer asking to clarify the problems and if I was in (but was at work), he said no problem we'll deal with it - got home from work little after 3 this afternoon and drove past the 2 engineers, got told it was all sorted and were just finishing off and will come round check on me shortly... 

Checked phone line plus internet - all working perfect!  And true to their word they came to the door not long after - youngish pair very well mannered and checked everything was in good order - explained that they found 3 individual faults along the line and that water had got into the junction boxes on the telegraph pole and was in a right old state and that they repaired everything that needed doing Smiley  

Just like to make a side-point though (and this is for greno view road in high green - sheffield s35 area)... my internet service over past 18 months to 2 years or so has been really on and off, sometimes ok but other times poor - and I think this has reflected badly on plusnet over the time I have been with them - I do feel that a lot of the open reach infrastructure (particularly around our area) is creaking with age and is high time we had a major investment to upgrade everything.  

Fibre (when I previously had it) was a joke and barely got over 20 mb/s, which is precisely why I downgraded back to ADSL as there isn't much difference with the 14-16 mb/s I was getting before (and thankfully, am now getting again).  In this day and age we should be able to get much faster fibre (at least 50mb/s please?) but on our street it's just not happening Sad

But once again I cannot fault the service I have had today and can now confirm it's all sorted Smiley  

Thank you