Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New digital phone and utter confusion

ronecc
Grafter
Fixes: 1

New digital phone and utter confusion

As you are aware BT is kicking the phone lines we have known, into the ditch. I have tried reading up on what is going to happen to us older folk who are a bit dim on this modern, confusing technology. 

I am currently on full fibre and pay line rental for my landline.

My mobile can use Internet calling, but is not always that good.

If I sign up for a new contract and loose my landline, how do I cope with an intermittent phone signal over the internet. My phone is 18 months old and the mobile signal in my area is rubbish.

If I change, I presume I loose my landline number and have to give everybody my mobile number as my only contact.

Can anybody explain the system in English that can be understood? Everything I read seems to be full of VoIP and business calls. Will my mobile be using VoIP or my phone contract. 

I hope my questions make sense.

16 REPLIES 16
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: New digital phone and utter confusion

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 280

@Gel The Plusnet supplied routers do not have any VoIP capabilities, you need an ATA which plugs into one of the Ethernet ports.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@Gel 

Unless you have two accounts you cannot have a landline and Full Fibre. It sounds like you're on FTTC.

Can you post a screen image of the results from the following (after haing your details).

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc I think you might be better helping the OP. A certain contributor on here tends to post misleading information.

John
ronecc
Grafter

Thanks for the info and spelling correction, slip of the finger (like I said, I am old, some things do not always press what you want.) The info is not suitable for my area yet. Thanks anyway.

ronecc
Grafter

Thanks. The checker is not working at the moment, it states. At the moment I pay extra to keep my landline. When I check with Plusnet what package I have, it states Unlimited Fibre, uses Part Fibre. So it must be fibre to the cabinet.

jab1
Legend

@ronecc Are you sure you are on Full Fibre, and not plain Fibre? Any chance of a full screenshot of the information from this site? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

John
jab1
Legend

@ronecc wrote:

Thanks. The checker is not working at the moment, it states.

If the phone version isn't working for you, try this one - but redact your address: BT Broadband - Address 

John
ronecc
Grafter

I eventually got it to work on the address. Full Fibre not available yet, but Plusnet are giving me the option of having no landline.

bmc
Hero

@jab1 

My apologies for tagging the wrong person.

Brian

ronecc
Grafter

jab1
Legend

@ronecc I'll leave it to @bmc to help you with this - he's had more experience.

John
bmc
Hero

@ronecc 

Thanks for the information.

You have a choice - you can move to SOGEA (internet only) or by phoning in you can renew "as is" - knowing thtt at some point in 2025 you will lose your landline. The latter option would give you more time to prepare. Phone the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to check.

Given the quoted speeds on the Checker VOIP should work fine - as should internet calling on mobile.

Can you post a speed check using a wired connection?

Brian

ronecc
Grafter

Yes I can use my mobile, or rather it is set for internet calling, but as I mentioned it is not always very good. As the mobile signal is not very good, I wonder if I am using the internet or just getting my usual poor mobile signal. I will have to search for a cable to try a wired connection and what would it look like and where would it fit. My router is connected to the DSL socket, then there are 4 empty yellow Ethernet ports and one empty red WAN Broadband Port.