Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Cord Error

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Line Cord Error

Hi @Gandalf I do not think an engineer would find any fault here. It just seems strange that this happens in that time scale albeit not every night but most nights including weekends. Presume there is no way of PN asking BT to check if it is being monitored through the exchange or if anyone has any other ideas.

We have no problem with the line and it is only noticeable through the screen on the phone lighting up for around 40 seconds stating line cord error as shown earlier when @MatthewWheeler tested the line.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @mort7890

I'm afraid there's no investigation we'd be able to do bar arrange an engineer visit as line tests aren't showing any issues

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@mort7890 wrote:

Do BT run a monitored test on lines for any specific reason on a regular basis if so can this be verified.

They certainly did when I worked in a large exchange in the 1970s. The idea was to enable proactive maintenance by identifying incipient faults in the external network. Hmmm - those were the days. 😐

In more recent years, I've seen or heard virtually no reference to this practice, but today I have found an Openreach document - https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/downloads/dialogue_services_product_guide.pdf

A paragraph in the section

5.Line Test and Diagnostics

on page 22 implies that the facility is still available:

The transactions available are Line Test (for WLR PSTN, WLR ISDN2, LLU SMPF and LLU MPF), Overnight Test (for WLR PSTN and LLU SMPF) and Copper Integrated Demand Test (CIDT)Test(for WLR PSTN, WLR ISDN2, LLU SMPF and LLU MPF).

I rather think that it was used in my area in 2014, when for a few weeks I'd hear a single "ting" from my mechanical bell set every night around 11 to 11:30.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mort7890
Pro

Hi @198kHz 

Showing our age but yes I recollect the same scenario but cannot remember the time. So now if you have a screen on the phone it just lights up.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

There is an option for us to request extended testing however the line is only tested every 4 hours over a 24 hour period and if no issue is found then the fault is closed.

We can try it but personally, I've never seen it find a fault in my 8 years here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mort7890
Pro

Hi @MatthewWheeler wouldn't bother probably a built in fault somewhere never to be found. Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @mort7890 

I’d like to try something, drop me a PM as soon as the issue happens, hopefully tonight and I’ll test your line and we’ll see if it picks up anything. 

I’m working a late shift this week and I’ll keep a close eye out for the PM.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet