cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Cord Error

Phantom1874
Hooked

Line Cord Error

I can't make or receive calls on my phone. My broadband is working as normal though.

I've tried different ASDL filters and I've tried plugging the phone directly in to the socket but still nothing.

I borrowed my neighbours cordless phone and while I got the same line cord error when I plugged it in to the ASDL filter I got a ring tone and could make and receive calls when I plugged it directly in to the phone socket. 

Any advice welcome.

21 REPLIES 21
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Line Cord Error

Hi @Phantom1874, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of this issue.

So that we can rule out/in your handset as being the cause of at least part of the issue, can you confirm whether or not you'd tried your handset with your neighbours socket?

Phantom1874
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. 

I plugged my neighbour's phone directly in to my phone socket and I got a dialling tone and could make and receive calls. My phone plugged directly in to the socket goes straight to the messaging service when I try calling it. I haven't had the chance to try my handset plugged in to the neighbour's socket.

Both phones show the same line cord error when plugged in to the filter. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to me.

We're not detecting any sort of issue with the actual line which would point to equipment failure - although it's strange that your neighbours handset works without a filter but not with.

I can see that you've already tried using different filters and so we can probably rule that out, although I'm keen to know whether or not you tried multiple filters with the neighbours handset?

Phantom1874
Hooked

Apologies for the late response. I bought a new handset yesterday and it works normally making and receiving calls when I plug it straight in to my socket. I'm waiting on a new adsl filter being delivered today or tomorrow to replace my old one so I'm hopeful that should correct the problem. Thank you for your quick replies.

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Thanks for getting back to us @Phantom1874.

Please do let us know how you get on with the new ADSL filter.

Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Phantom1874 

Have you recently had a lightening strike in the area?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sid28

Hello. I also have this problem on my cordless phone. Internet is working but no dial tone. Noticed it a few days ago. Waiting time is 20 mins to speak to someone!! Can someone advise please?Huh

THanks

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @sid28,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Apologies for the issue you're experiencing, I've check the line and it does appear there's a fault somewhere.

I've raised this with our suppliers Openreach. It doesn't appear an appointment to visit your property is required at this stage as the issue is somewhere else, however you can follow the fault progress or add to the ticket here.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks - LF

sid28

Still no dial tone and no update either! Can someone please update me ?Huh

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @sid28,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry the fault you have reported is still outstanding. I've looked into this and have sent an update here.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks - LF

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @LordFoul 

Just a query on Line Cord Error please, between 21.45 & 22.00 almost nearly every day I get a Line Cord error showing it lasts no longer than 60seconds and does not affect Broadband and line quality has not deteriorated. Do BT run a monitored test on lines for any specific reason on a regular basis if so can this be verified.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @mort7890 Only the provider who owns your line can run a remote line test, the last person to view your account was one of my colleagues on my team on the 27th September. Engineers can run a line test themselves however based on how frequent you've said your line drops and the time of night, that's probably unlikely.

Are you able to replicate this using a different telephone handset, preferably corded (no pun intended)?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Gandalf 

Line cord error around 16.55 being tested by @MatthewWheeler saw this on the caller display.

Got a corded handset but that does not have a caller display so will not be able to confirm any testing therefore unable to replicate.

Have reported this before (quite awhile ago) and somewhere at the back of my mind informed that the exchange run line tests on a regular basis.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @mort7890

It's an odd one, not sure there'd be much more we can suggest to be honest without arranging an engineer visit although if it's not affecting your service there may not be anything an engineer will find.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet