cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline problem

emjay
Dabbler

Landline problem

I've got a major landline problem. I can't make or receive calls, though my broadband is fine. I've tried using old-fashioned corded phones but that makes no difference. I can't figure it out. The last time I was able to make a call was two days ago.

23 REPLIES 23
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Landline problem

@emjay Welcome to the forum.

If you have a working mobile then this is the easiest, I quote from the Plusnet help pages:

For a problem with your home phone,

Text PHONE followed by your landline number to 07800008121.
e.g. PHONE 01234567891
(charge may apply at your standard rate)

• We'll run tests on your connection to find out what’s going on
  • If you need an engineer, we’ll text you in 15 mins to book a slot
  • If you don't need an engineer, our award-winning UK based support team will aim to call you within 30 mins to help sort the problem, though we're really busy at the moment, so this may be a little longer.
  • Service available Mon-Sun: 8am to 8pm
  • Outside of these hours please see our Help and Support guides, and if you’re still having trouble we’ll pick up your message when we’re open

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

You do not indicate if you have a dial tone, just that you cannot make calls.  Can you please clarify.

1. Have you got a dial tone?
  2. When you dial digits does the dial tone remain?
  3. If the dial tone ceases, what happens when you have finished dialling the number?
  4. If you call your number, does the phone ring / display the calling number?
  5. Are you on ADSL or FTTC broadband?

See also Solved: Strange dial out / dial in fault on landline - BT Community

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Baldrick1 

It will be interesting to see if the user has a dial tone, if the above process is capable of detecting an exchange fault ... which is what I guess this is (as opposed to a line fault).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Townman 

Indeed. I assume that it could be a line fault between the FTTC cabinet and exchange or, as you say, an exchange fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

emjay
Dabbler

No dialling tone either. Should have said.

emjay
Dabbler

I tried texting Pnet as you suggest but was told there was no problem though there clearly is.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@emjay wrote:

No dialling tone either. Should have said.

FTTC or ADSL broadband?

If FTTC and that is running as normal, then the issue is somewhere "upstream" from the cabinet.  There is some possibility that your line is terminated somewhere else (without a fault) which is why the line test (run from the exchange) does not report a fault.  If you ring your number, does it get answered?  If yes, then explain to the person who answers the call what your problem is and ask them to check out their own line (dial 17070) and confirm they have the right number - they might be missing inbound calls.  Cross connected lines are more common than you might imagine.

This will require BT Openreach boots on the ground.  Use the manual phone fault reporting link below and specify "No dial tone.

emjay
Dabbler

I think the broadband is ASDL. I can't make any calls so no calls get answered. I was called yesterday but when I answered nothing happened. As far as the caller was concerned  the line rang normally but no-one answered. Eventually the caller was diverted to the answering service.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If it is ADSL then it will be limping along and the fault test should find a one leg dist fault.

Not being able to make calls does not necessarily mean that you cannot receive them.

Did you check the line again AFTER sending the text message to test the line?  Some bad joint faults get fixed (for a short while) by the act of testing the line ... or indeed by an inbound call.

What happens if you ring your number from your mobile?

Are you sure you do not have a faulty handset?

emjay
Dabbler

I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty handset because two corded phones get exactly the same thing ie nothing. I'm checking the line constantly and it's never been anything but dead. I haven't tried phoning my landline from my mobile but someone tells me they phoned my number a short while ago and was just diverted to the answering service.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, please try the following... dial your number from your mobile.  Whilst the line is "ringing" pick up the hand set and see if the call is there.

Try the handset in the test socket behind the master socket faceplate.  It seems somewhat odd that the line tests should report no fault when you have no dial tone.

"was just diverted to the answering service"

What answering service?  1571?  Do you have this enabled?

There is nothing quite like doing this for yourself to be sure of what is actually happening.  There is always the possibility that there is a crossed line and it is some other party's answering service which is picking up the call.

Whatever, have you now followed the manual fault reporting process using the link below?

emjay
Dabbler

I did what you said and phoned my landline from my mobile. The phone rang but when I picked it up nothing happened, the phone just kept on ringing.

I have 1571 enabled and this is the answering service to which callers are diverted. I've tried the handset (and the cordless phones) in the test socket and it makes no difference.

I have followed the manual fault reporting process involving texting Pnet but the response said there was no problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK that eliminates a large number of possibilities - well done.

The line is not misrouted; it does terminate in your property and rattles your phone!

So you picked up the handset and the instrument continued to ring until 1571 cut in?

When you pick up the phone, there is no dial tone.

This suggests that the line is not going "off hook" - that is, it is not seizing the line when you pick up the receiver.

@198kHz  what in your experience (other than faulty handsets) might give rise to this issue ... whilst not giving rise to a fault condition when the line is tested?

emjay
Dabbler

The handset (or any handset) is definitely not seizing the line when I pick up the receiver.

The other thing I've done is get an on-screen test of my line (following the Phone Faults button) and that resulted in a message from Plusnet saying "It looks like something has gone wrong. Our award-winning support team are here to help. Call us on 0800 432 0200"

I did this and it seems that Outreach has identified a problem that should be resoved by next Wednesday.