Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline or mobile problem?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Landline or mobile problem?

It's BT @Townman, I've made a diary note to check back up on this tomorrow, will keep you all updated. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

No - see here - UKPhone NumberRangeLookup : Phone Range Lookup (phonecodeinfo.co.uk)

Put your land line number in here - that will tell you who "owns" the number.

Much like mobile numbers which have been ported between networks.  Calls to the numbers are first routed to the range holder, who then onward routes the call if the number has been ported to a third party.

So for example if the range holder for your landline number is Virgin Media (you started off with VM) and the number was ported across various providers ... IIUC at the moment Sky mobile would hand the call of VM who would then forward the call to BT/Plusnet.

This smells like some obscure routing issue, which is not uncommon where for example numbers originally provided by VM are involved.  We have seen cases of out going calls on Plusnet's lines reporting the correct CLI on a mobile phone, but if dialled back ... the call comes in on the old VM line.

Question: Do you know of a friend using Sky mobile whom you can get to phone your landline to see if they have the same experience as your self?

EDIT: Crossing posts ... distracted by phone calls.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Question: Do you know of a friend using Sky mobile whom you can get to phone your landline to see if they have the same experience as your self?

and/or someone on O2 or another O2 MVNO to see if its a generic O2 routing problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brfoster365
Dabbler

Thanks @MisterW  for your suggestion.

Yes, my own Tesco PAYGO mobile works fine. I can dial my unchanged landline no problems before or after.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends or family with Sky mobile,

Correct me if I'm wrong, do Sky mobile and Tesco mobile use O2?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@brfoster365  yes, both Sky & Tesco use the O2 network. That it works from a Tesco mobile would tend to indicate its a Sky mobile problem

brfoster365
Dabbler

Hi @Townman ,

I did as you said and I get a message "Number range cannot be found"

What does this mean?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That suggests something is a bit odd. Adam has reported that it’s BT.

I do not know how the “register” of range holders works … is there a single register or is it like IP address geolocation data providers … there’s lots of space in which to get it wrong?

I’m away from the desk so not easy to research. Just do a search for phone number range holder look up and see if different sites offer different answers. If they do, most likely that’s your issue.

brfoster365
Dabbler

Thanks @Townman .

I wish I had never swapped... it does not make sense?

Human error input with tech?

BTW. On Sky Community 47 replies with Zero suggestions ?

brfoster365
Dabbler

Hi All, 

Im getting brassed off with this. Its essential my wife can call our home land line using Sky Mobile.

Please Plusnet talk to Sky Mobile !

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

On the basis that calls from every other provider are reaching your home number - except your wife’s Sky mobile - at best this is an issue with call routing solely from your wife’s mobile or at worse from all Sky mobiles.

You seem to want Plusnet to take the lead here to deal with an issue related solely to the Sky mobile service.

Have you asked Sky: “How come it is ONLY calls from YOUR mobile network which are not routing to the landline number? Surely if this were a Plusnet / BT issue as Sky want to believe, then the source of the call would not matter and all calls would fail.”.

brfoster365
Dabbler

@Townman 

I really don't think its up to myself to solve this problem. I've spent enough time on it reporting, calling Plusnet and Sky.

Its up to Sky Mobile and Plusnet to talk to each other.

I have dealt with Both directly, causing a stalemate.

Hence joining forums on Sky and Plusnet to see if, people like youself could help.

For all I know its a sky mobile problem?

But is it, because my Sky Mobile worked fine with NOW Broadband until I made the switch to Plusnet.

Thanks as always for your comments

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But is it, because my Sky Mobile worked fine with NOW Broadband until I made the switch to Plusnet.

@brfoster365 When you were with Now, your landline would (I assume?) be via a Sky LLU connection. The move to Plusnet would have reconnected it to a BT one. I don't profess to understand how Sky mobile route their calls to landlines, but they MAY take different routing when its a Sky LLU landline. If that routing is still in place then that could explain why you cant call your landline. Having said that, I would have thought that any routing would have been at the (O2) network level but who knows?

I'm afraid its not going to be easy to get this sorted. As you've discovered, Sky will blame PlusNet and vice versa. Normally ISP's are prevented from direct communication with each other, so have to go via the network providers. In this case , BT is going to be the landline provider but whether the mobile is Sky or O2 is anyones guess. I suspect that all PlusNet can do is raise a fault with Openreach and try and give them ALL the facts. Problem is that OR tend to ignore most of what they might be told and do their own diagnostic which may well show no problem unless they can test from a Sky mobile.

Do you know anyone else with a Sky mobile ? as the inability to call your landline from another Sky mobile would be fairly conclusive

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW wrote:

I don't profess to understand how Sky mobile route their calls to landlines, but they MAY take different routing when its a Sky LLU landline. If that routing is still in place then that could explain why you cant call your landline.

Do you know anyone else with a Sky mobile ? as the inability to call your landline from another Sky mobile would be fairly conclusive

That is exactly what I suspect is the issue, in which case this lies entirely within Sky's domain. which is why I phrased the question to Sky as I did.

I understand the frustration in sorting this, however if SKY still have incorrect routing information for your phone number in THEIR network, this is not something any other party (such as Plusnet) can fix.  @adam945 has already said that he has raised the issue with BT's port team, but if there is routing detritus within SKY, it is likely that there will be little that they can do.  If they can, I am sure they will try.

If the number was previously with Now - then a call to them asking them to check that they have released the historic routing information might be a productive remedy.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Just a quick update for those following this post and were expecting a response yesterday, I did try to contact Migration Services but it turns out they were closed due to it being Good Friday. 

I'll be following this up on Monday Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Just a thought it's Easter Monday they may be closed on Monday as well