Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant phone fault and no one has a clue

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Intermittant phone fault and no one has a clue

Hi there,
We need to send an engineer because the fault is almost certainly on the wiring between the exchange and your premises. The reason he needs access is because he needs to be able to test any fixes he makes from your premises, it's not necessarily because that's where the fault is.
Apologies for a daft question but did you mention about the incoming calls fixing the fault to the previous engineer? If not that might help him identify the issue and speed the fix along.
Hope that helps explain, if you could let us know when you would be available for an engineer visit we'll get this booked and hopefully get things sorted for you.
thrillville
Grafter

Yes I explained everything to the BT engineer, he said he had not heard of that problem before. He got rid of the awful external NTE as well.
I also pointed out about the rratic upstream, as you can see from the stats below:

Uptime: 0 days, 7:32:52

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 96 / 4,512

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10.5 / 18.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 55.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 7.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 365 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 52 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 161 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 44,223

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 644

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 537

Surely the problem is related to this. I have since reset the router and the upstream is now 608, which is about where it usually is but every now and then it goes to below 100
Catweazle
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
We need to send an engineer because the fault is almost certainly on the wiring between the exchange and your premises. The reason he needs access is because he needs to be able to test any fixes he makes from your premises, it's not necessarily because that's where the fault is.

Not sure that's totally necessary as the engineers can test the line quality outside a property without requiring the householder to be at home i.e. climb up the nearest telegraph pole or lift an inspection cover. But the Openreach policy seems to be that the fault must be tested in the home first and that is incredibly irritating for those of us who have to take a day off work on the off-chance that an Openreach engineer might turn up. Doesn't anyone in Openreach (or the ISPs) even consider how inconvenient it is for someone to take a day off work? In my experience, 100% of faults have been in the external network - that may be unusual, but the copper wire network in my area seems to be falling apart and many of my neighbours have had issues as well.
Openreach have performed absymally for the last three faults that I've raised - the worst was four years ago when they took several weeks and 10 engineer visits to fix a problem which was in an underground cable 100m from my house - 9 out of 10 engineers insisted on checking the fault in my property (the customer's always wrong seems to be their mantra...) but the 10th had the good sense (and professionalism)  to painstakingly check the wiring at each connection down the road until he found the fault.
I had another fault at the end of May this year that took about 5 weeks to fix and a similar number of engineers to scratch their heads; the fault reappeared a week ago (coincidentally just after an engineer had "fixed" someone else's line fault...) and no engineer has even had a sniff at the fault yet - the latest excuse from PN was laughable: "Unfortunately a system issue at Openreach is affecting their ability to contact the controls department who are currently monitoring your fault." Well it won't get fixed quickly if they use their own engineers, that's for sure...
Maybe we ought to start a league table of fix times and engineer visits - I really hope that my own personal record of 10 engineer visits is unusual, but I suspect it isn't as rare as it should be...
And anyone who raises a fault is told that they'll be charged £60 if no fault is found. How about customers billing Openreach a similar amount for each engineer visit that failed to fix the problem - on that basis, they must owe me more than £900 already. Food for thought...