Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect

Ridethesplit
Grafter

How to connect

Hi,
**Edit, seems I need a different cable with a BT end.*** Does anyone know if I need a 2 wire, or 4 wire cable to use the phone?
I have Plusnet fibre broadband with a Plusnet hub.
The phone line comes in to the house, and then I have a filter plugged directly into the wall socket. A phone cable goes from this filter into the back of the broadband hub.
We have not used a landline for over 10 years, but my wife has found a cool phone, so wants me to make it work.
Question is, how do I connect the phone to the line? The only socket on the filter goes to the broadband hub. Can I just get a splitter to share this line?
Any help would be appreciated....
6 REPLIES 6
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: How to connect

Use a Micro filter Plug into BT master socket if the BT Master socket has only 1 connection ,  

see https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/why-do-i-need-adsl-filters--microfilters--and-where-do-they-go-

Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 14.53.46.png  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Ridethesplit 

I don’t know what plug there is on this cool phone but if it will plug into your master socket then it will plug into the phone socket on the filter, they are identical.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ridethesplit
Grafter

The cable has the same plug as the modem socket, not the phone one. I need an adapter the change this (think it's called rj11) to a standard BT plug. Only problem is they sell a 2 wire and a 4 wire version......
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Are you sure that this is an analogue phone, not a digital one? It sounds like an IP phome to me. They are not interchangeable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ridethesplit
Grafter

It's a normal phone as far as I am aware.
Ridethesplit
Grafter

Double checked an it's definitely an analogue phone.