Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone price increase

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Home Phone price increase

I haven't read my e-mail yet, if I've received it, I stumbled across this as I was looking at that the forums.
I'm not one who is normally lost for words, but right now I am stunned.
The only thought that comes to mind immediately is the 8p connection charge - hidden away - it would seem from these posts. Unless my memory is wrong, that's what BT have put it upto, so have TalkTalk, so have OneTel and I expect a few others. The word Cartel comes to mind, as does the word rip-off.
I was a fairly happy PN phone customer and wasn't the slightest bit interested in what the rest of the market was doing but now I shall be going to look. The ever increasing minimum call charge / connection charge has been the major factor in my steadily declining use of the phone over recent years, especially if someone you need to talk to has that irritating 1571 which immediately costs you if their line is engaged, and you have no choice to use Ring Back, or indeed continue redialling to see if they've become free.
I shall be back with further comment in due course. Bad move PN,  bad move.
tgr
Grafter

So we have now all become  Americans as someone has said let us have the dates in the English mode.  Unless of course u are signing up 2 or 3 million Americans to plus net
grudkin
Grafter

Just to put this news into context I just worked out that I will save! Cheesy
Evening & Weekend
old Line Rental £9.75 +Voice Mail £0.98 +Caller ID £1.47 = £12.20
new Line Rental £10.95 +Voice Mail (FREE) +Caller ID £0.99 = £11.94
Anytime+
old Line Rental £14.65 +Voice Mail £0.98 +Caller ID £1.47 = £17.10
new Line Rental £10.95 +Anytime+ £5.00  +Voice Mail (FREE) +Caller ID £0.99 = £16.94 Smiley
OK it's only a saving 16 pence, But it is a saving.
I never call Landline to mobile as I have free minuets on my mobile and never make international calls
Maybe PN could include Caller ID FREE with Anytime+ as an added incentive in the future. Wink
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think the email should be resent highlighting ALL the price increases and not just the rental charge, I believe this is a legal requirement. I don't think PlusNet are being very honest in not pointing out the increase in set up cost., increase in call cost,  plus the increase in other services such as caller direct by 70%. These increases are to the detriment to customers and should be mentioned.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I agree.  The email does not 'tell all'.   
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: glloyd
And put the others such as caller divert up from £1.47 to £2.50.

Call Features typically cost £1.47 for 1 or £0.98 each if taking more than 1. The new typical charges will be £2.50 for 1 or £1.50 each if taking more than 1. The reduction in cost of Caller Display will not help people taking more than one option. Currently Caller Display + one other approx  £1.96. New charges will be £3.
Yet again a botched product refresh. Price increases may be inevitable as a result of increased charges by BTW but the manner that the changes have been announced does not support a claim that Plusnet is open and fair. Even BT lists the negative changes some way down after the announcement of any good news. Plusnet just leaves us to dig around on the website where information is well hidden. (I haven't received the email yet but am judging by the announcement on the web site.)
Update:
I have just discovered Mand's FAQ. http://community.plus.net/blog/2009/04/06/home-phone-changes-faq/
"Are the peak times changing?
Yes, daytime rates will now be charged from 6am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and weekend rates will be charged from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday."
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for that update on the peak times change.. I rarely look at rhe Community Site page so would not have spotted Mand's FAQ.
carrot63
Grafter

You'd never guess all this less than stellar news from the email, would you? Evidently BT-style spin's the thing and I think we can now safely say the Plusnet of old is finally, truly extinct. Price increases I can live with, deceitful marketing I can't.
I left BT phone a year and a day ago for precisely the same fluffy-but-duplicitous shuffling of semantics. I'm glad my PN contract is up.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

At the end of the day we can moan all we want, but it wont change a thing!
My view is this!
I dont think that changing MY home phone to another supplier for the sake of anything from 1p - £1 p/m savings is worth the hassle. (Yes, i am lazy man who 'cant be ar$ed'). They have us 'over the barrel'.
They willl take the hit on those that take the plunge and leave (i suspect there wont be many)
As for the hidden call charges, thats just rude  Tongue
carrot63
Grafter

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
At the end of the day we can moan all we want, but it wont change a thing!

No, you're quite right, and in general I'm the lazy one in this regard. But I'm tired of the lazy, greedy assumptions that companies make of the UK consumer, and the lazy "soft touch" regulation that allows it all to sink into a cosy cartel where every offer is the same as every other offer, just in a different pattern. So the only option left is to move, for better, worse or no change at all.
It's about time we had an option of broadband only; with skype and a mobile I've got no use whatever for a phone in any case. A shame mobile BB doesn't cut it.
And yes, obscuring the bad bits is rude.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

What we need is a home phone provider who has a referral system. Then we can all refer each other and get it even cheaper.
I'll get the Mrs on the case, she loves to find a bargain!!  Cheesy
carrot63
Grafter

Nice idea  Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

What we need is a home phone provider who has a referral system.

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk has one of sorts  Cool
(I use them for several services, but not actually home phone as I need specific things that neither they or PlusNet can do.)
Javert
Grafter

They have us 'over the barrel'.
As for the hidden call charges, thats just rude  Tongue

Agree with most of your comments – but, I’m looking around now to see who gives me the “best value for my money” in the basic deal.  The 300 minutes of International Calls offer is of no benefit as I don’t make any; the free calls to Tech Support are OK – but I very rarely call them.  Free Voicemail – my phone has a built in recorder – so won’t avail myself of that.  Caller ID – down to 99p – OK – but BT do it for free.
All in all then – for me, little or no benefit - but the basic phone is at extra costs.
carrot63
Grafter

@Javert, precisely my situation. "Features" I have no need of, a price rise, plus the substantial increases in call costs.
"well everyone else is doing it". That's lame.