cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info. about moving telephone number on house move

dabow
Rising Star

Info. about moving telephone number on house move

Could someone in plusnet ,with the appropriate knowledge, please answer sensibly my request for information about the TECHNICAL POSSIBILITY of moving my present phone number (homephone and broadband) to a new address. I seem to be getting answers to my ticket that are LESS than informative .
The ticket no.is:- 29350602
Thanks in anticipation.
David Bowers
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Info. about moving telephone number on house move

Hi David,
If you are moving to a different property on the same exchange, we can request that you keep the same number.  If you're moving from Home Phone to Home Phone, then that shouldn't be a problem at all, but if your phone is currently with a different supplier, we can't make any guarantees.
If you're moving to a different exchange, you won't be able to keep your number.
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks James for the early reply.
The full information about the various numbers/exchanges is on the original ticket request. In about October I hope to move house to the address quoted, moving hopefully, my Plusnet Homephone and Broadband with me,preferably with my existing number.
I cannot quite determine if the move involves an effective "exchange "change or not.
I.e.  Present no.  01978 26XXXX  ,new location  is 01978  85XXXX.  The "85" seems to be a "sub" exchange of the main (Wrexham) one.
Does this mean its an effective exchange change and therefore not possible to transfer the old number? Or, since both locations have the "common" 01978 code  is this classed as the "same" exchange ?
Any further enlightenment would be appreciated.
Regards,David.
James
Grafter

Hi David,
It sounds like they're on a different exchange.  Whilst the STD code is the same, you'll often see two different towns on different exchanges, but on different exchanges.
My parents weren't able to keep their telephone number when moving from an 014422 area to an 014428 one.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 37

'Fraid so - 26xxxx is Wrexham, 85xxxx is Gresford.  Sad
If you want the best seat in the house, move the cat
FTTC 40/10   Billion 8800NL
BT technician (Retired)
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks to both Jameseh and 4Candles for the information.
It's as I suspected. I was initially unsure as to the technicalities of what was the defining aspect of the number , i.e. the 01978 or the "sub" number i.e. 26XXXX and 85XXXX. Now I Know!
Thanks again for taking the trouble to clarify it, I have had unfortunately little success with an answer via my Ticket !  Extra training needed ?Huh
Regards,David.
James
Grafter

Hi David,
I did look at the ticket and the information they supplied was correct, ie: they told you that we couldn't guarantee you being able to keep your number, but I would agree that they could have gone into further detail.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 37

It can be confusing, as some 'satellite' and rural exchanges have retained their original names, while others have adopted the main town name.
Useful website here - http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
Also available - http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-the-phonebook-companion-4KBG.html - does PN have a copy?
If you want the best seat in the house, move the cat
FTTC 40/10   Billion 8800NL
BT technician (Retired)
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks again to Jameseh and 4Candles for your diligence and expertise in this matter.
All is clear now. Suprising what one learns when asking the right folks !
Thanks, David.