Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and VOIP.

fatyamyam
Hooked

FTTC and VOIP.

Help needed.

I was moving away from Plusnet at end of conract. The service I was going to is BRSK. I needed a query answered but BRSK's customer service was dire so I cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period and renewed with Plusnet.

I have FTTC with a telephone package. Can I install VOIP ? Before anyone jumps in and says this has already been answered I have seen the other posts about this and cannot understand them at all. I need a simple explanation as to what is required to do this.

I am 75 years of age and quite capable of doing most techy stuff. I want to move away from the landline phone and Plusnet as their costs have risen very rapidly over the last few years. I appreciate that I am tied in for another 18 months but I have downgraded my call package and want it ready in future to just transfer the internet. If Plusnet had allowed VOIP I probably would have stayed. Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: FTTC and VOIP.

@fatyamyam 

FTTC is a digital product which is supplied via a cabinet, utilizing only the "final mile" of copper to your house. You do need to move to VOIP by the end of 2025.

To do this, you need to get PN to move you onto a SOGEA connection which is FTTC without a phone service. You have 30 days from the day of change to "port" your number to an independant VOIP provider. Note that some providers can't (or have been unable to in the past) handle a ceased line (which is what yours becomes).

If you just want a VOIP account to have things set up and running you are free to do so - this would have nothing to do with PN. Note this wouldn't have your current phone number.

Do not under any circunstances try to port your number before changing to SOGEA - this would lead to the cancellation of your PN account.

Brian

fatyamyam
Hooked

Brian.

Many thanks for your swift response.

I find it very odd that one solution to replacing the phone line is to leave the copper wire in place ! The idea of asking Plusnet to switch it to a SoGEA connection is a leap of faith which I am very reluctant to make. I wanted to move to BRSK because the internet and phone would have been dealt with together. It was because the date quoted by Plusnet did not match up that I found out about BRSK's shocking customer service.

What happens when we are forced to lose the landline ?

Will it be ported over to a VOIP automatically ?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@fatyamyam 

When PSTN goess, only the final copper connection from the cabinet to your property will remain in use. The copper wire back to the Exchange becomes redundant.

As PN aren't doing a VOIP phone service you'll be moved onto a SOGEA connection. PN will move you to BT free of charge for internet and VOIP but I gather they're not the cheapest.

The question you need to look at is how much do your use your phone nowadays? Also, what's the mobile signal like at your house? Many people have switched to mobile to replace their landline.

Brian