Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End Destination cannot be reached

valve90210
Dabbler

End Destination cannot be reached

Hi All
I've been with plusnet since april and all is pretty good, with one exception, for the last 2 or 3 months I've not been able to phone my home number from my phone at work.
The telephone at my work runs through a Microsoft Lync network and phones every other number with out a problem but when I try to phone home it rings once then I just get an error message 'End destination cannot be reached'. I figured it was a problem with the network at work but the IT department couldn't find anything wrong with it...
I've pretty much ignored it since then and just resorted to using my mobile.
Until today. I was expecting a call from a shop who were going to confirm details of an order for me. Half an hour after they said they'd call, I gave them a call and was told that they had tried but every time they tried they just got the same error message.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Any idea what might be wrong or how it can be sorted out?
15 REPLIES 15
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: End Destination cannot be reached

Long shot but if it's a BT line dial 17070 just to confirm your number is still correct.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Having Googled ths phrase, it would be interesting to find out if work and your supplier are using VOIP to place the calls.  If so, who is the provider.
WARNING - this could be a red herring but I found the following description here
This cause indicates that the called party cannot be reached because the network through which the call has been routed does not serve the destination desired. This cause is supported on a network dependent basis.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

valve90210
Dabbler

I asked the IT department if the system at work is using VOIP and it is, apparently it's Microsoft Lync VOIP via SIP...which doesn't mean a lot to me.
Obviously I can't really findout what the store uses but being a big company and operating a switchboard type system thingy, they could well be using VOIP...
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This sometimes happens when a number is ported from one provider to another and the old provider doesn't 'cease' the line in their records. As such, calls originating from the old network will still try to route internally, which of course, gets nowhere.
Hope this helps you dig further...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ben,
As the current provider of the line, is there anything which PN can do to determine if this situation exists (at least identify the history of the number)?  If it does how does the subscriber get the problem fixed?  They have no relationship with that supplier, neither now or potentially in the past.
Is this not a problem for the current CP to investigate and fix?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

valve90210
Dabbler

That sounds like it could be the case, as Townman says, as you are now the provider for my line, is there anything you (PN) can do to identify if this is an issue with my number?
We havn't had anything to do with BT on this number as we signed up to PN when we first moved in.
The previous occupants also didn't have a BT number as they were with Virgin...which may have contributed to any problem?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I don't think so but I'd advise raising a fault to see if we can.
valve90210
Dabbler

Never having done so before, how do I got about raising a fault?
Strat
Community Veteran

Edit: Incorrect link removed and my shortcut fixed.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Strat,
That link is for broadband faults.
I'd suggest that this is more appropriate - https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22965&wizard_id=38

@Valve90210,
You might also try getting your IT department to raise a fault with their SIP provider.  From there you have a point of problem reproducibility for someone to focus on.  It should be possible or them to trace the call routing to determine where it fails.  I suspect that this will take time to fix if the issue is as Ben described - assume that he is correct...
The history of the number needs to be determined - who originally owned it and who as owned it since?  Then identify which one of those parties has the wrong routing information?  How does one get them to fix it, given they no longer supply service for that number?  This is proper needle in a haystack investigation as your problem is not universal.
I would also contact the store and ask the manager if they can find a contact for their phone service.  You could try following that up as a line of activity.
@Ben,
Is there a VOIP industry problem 'broker' for such issues?  Some means by which a call to this user's number could be route tested from all UK CP's networks?

Strat
Community Veteran

Specsavers appointment booked Embarrassed
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Townman
@Ben,
Is there a VOIP industry problem 'broker' for such issues?  Some means by which a call to this user's number could be route tested from all UK CP's networks?

Nothing that I know of but then VoIP has never been my area of expertise.
valve90210
Dabbler

I raised the question, and after some investigation Open reach came out to have a look at the hardware in the exchance, even with it all unplugged I got exactly the same error so the matter was passed back to the software side of things. Apparently some fault or other was cleared from the  line... still exactly the same, can't call my home phone from my workplace, one ring then "End destination cannot be reached, contact administrator"
Have told them that this is still the problem but don't konw what they'll do next...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Well at least that rules out all suggestions of the wrong number being called etc...
Good progress, however I wold have thought it easy enough for the system suppliers to do some diagnostic tracing of the call setup / failure.
Interesting comment "one ring and then failure message" - have you thought of arranging a controlled test?  Ave someone at home, have your number rung from work and see f you get one ring on the phone.
Hope someone gets to the bottom of this.