cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete cost of brand new phone line installation?

LittleFidget

Complete cost of brand new phone line installation?

I'm interested in getting a brand new phone line (with purchase of Plusnet broadband) installed into an older semi-rural property that does not have, nor do I believe has ever had, a landline installed. There is no master socket and as far as I'm aware no existing telephone wiring, connection to exchange etc.  I've had a look at the Plusnet price guide but how would I be able to find out exactly what work would be required and the total complete cost of the installation upfront? I'm enquiring and hoping to get the line installed for a family member but have only a set budget and I am concerned that once an engineer visited the cost could escalate to more than I could afford.

Thank-you kindly in advance for any replies.

8 REPLIES 8
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: Complete cost of brand new phone line installation?

New line installs are a fixed price (regardless of the work involved) and are £49.99 I believe (note Openreach actually charge more, but PlusNet don't charge the full Openreach charge).   Only caveat to this is if you are really remote, and there is no infrastructure in the area, but I would have thought that is unlikely.

If you try and place an order online it will soon realise there is no line, and inform you of the price.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

I believe there may be those rare instances where Openreach survey the area and deem that the work required is far greater than standard work and ask for “excess construction charges”

If it comes to that you don’t need to accept and you should be able to cancel your order for a full refund.

LittleFidget

Thanks

If following an engineer visit it transpired it would cost more do you think I would still be able to cancel and get a full refund even if this was after 14 days?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome  LittleFidget to the Forum,

Are there neighbours near to the property as you say it's semi rural have they got a phone line fed from overhead poles so the infrastructure is already there just needs a spare line for you .

The problem is a house/cottage well away from other properties  and poles and overheads have to be installed

HA

LittleFidget

The closest neighbour is actually pretty close at only about 100m away and they have a phone and broadband.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

BT's excess charges are detailed here http://bt.co.uk/pricing/notifs/18-03-2015/Excess_Construction_boo/NotificationPeriodImpl13363121319_...

In any case the first £3400 should not be chargeable for the first Pstn line install

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LittleFidget wrote:
The closest neighbour is actually pretty close at only about 100m away and they have a phone and broadband.

Are they fed overhead if so do the overhead cables come past your property

If so I don't think you will have a problem

HD

LittleFidget

I think they are fed overhead but from a telegraph pole from the other direction so no lines past the property I'm hoping to get a landline installed to.