cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Phone Line

norush
Grafter

Check Phone Line

My fairly new Panasonic dect phone is showing the above message and there is no dial tone even when plugged into the hidden socket; corded phone works fine as does broadband. Recently moved house and changed from BT to Plusnet, any ideas what's occurring?! recently had a BT engineer out as I had no dial tone at all; he found some corroded connectors in the grey box outside and moved me to another incoming pair plus fitted a new filtered master socket.

5 REPLIES 5
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Check Phone Line

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

The house move, change of ISP, and previous fault are of no relevance here.

If a corded phone works in the test socket and the DECT phone doesn't, there's a problem with the DECT.

Is the message appearing on the handset or the base? Is it a single or multi-handset DECT?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
norush
Grafter

Thanks for the welcome; it's a single handset phone and the message is on the handset itself. A bit of googling reveals it's quite a common fault so I nipped round to the neighbours with it and it works fine on their line. Getting the phone and broadband connected here has been a bit of a nightmare one way and another so I could do without any further problems to be honest.

Edited to add it's now working; unplugged base unit, left batteries out overnight and it burst into life. Go figure!

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Glad to hear it's sorted. Thanks for reporting back.  Smiley

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
avgordon
Dabbler

I am having a similar problem.  My 2 phone dect comes up with check phone line message on both phones. BT repaired a fault in the line outside my house but the phones are still dead.  I tried an old cordless phone and got a dial tone. I can make and receive calls on it, although the ringer doesn't work.  I bought a new dect phone and connected that but it doesn't work either.  I have changed splitters, cables and AC adaptors with no result. No problem with broadband from the same socket as the phone.

Help please.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @avgordon

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your line. I've tested your line and I'm not able to detect a fault. I believe my colleague has sent you an email this morning with a couple of checks to do before we arrange an engineer.

If you would like us to arrange an engineer please reply to this ticket. Feel free to let me know on here too and I'll get it booked in

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button