Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller display stopped working

FIXED
GrahamDS

Caller display stopped working

Hi

A couple of months ago my caller display stopped working - after having worked fine for years (on a Gigaset N300A IP base station with Gigaset C620H handsets). I contacted tech support and between us we removed the caller display feature and added back in again - but still not working. I've confirmed it's enabled with * # 234 #.  I've tried another phone (admittedly DECT) with caller display and not working on that either.

Weirdly last week, caller display came back! But only for a couple of hours as it then went off again. It feels like there is a fault on the line - something like this.

Could someone take another look please? Many thanks!

Cheers - Graham

9 REPLIES 9
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Caller display stopped working

Fix

Hi @GrahamDS

Thanks for getting in touch.

There's an external fault on the line which seems to be the root cause of this one. I've raised this to our suppliers for you here and I expect that it will be resolved by the end of the week.

Please let us know if there's anything else you need.

Best wishes

Dave

GrahamDS

That's great Dave - many thanks!

Cheers - Graham

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

No worries @GrahamDS 

Let us know once this is resolved at your end!

Kind Regards, 

MoR

GrahamDS

Hi

An Openreach engineer fixed my problem today - all working again. 

Many thanks again for moving this forward for me.

Cheers - Graham

Mable76
Hooked

Hello @GrahamDS 

Could you please explain what fault was found and what was done to fix it?

I've been suffering with no caller ID for almost a year now, going round in circles with Plusnet and Openreach, and I too put the very same link you posted (BT forum) in my community forum post back in June 2019.

Any information would be very much appreciated, many thanks.

GrahamDS

Hello @Mable76 

I don't know what the fault was exactly I'm afraid, not least because IIRC the enginner didn't fix it. He just moved my connection to a spare line. I'm in a rural area so this might be how things are done - maybe harder in a town. Good luck!

Cheers - Graham

Mable76
Hooked

Thank you @GrahamDS  for taking the time to reply, and pleased to hear that your fault was fixed.

I'm pleased to say that the fault has finally been found and fixed by the very first Openreach engineer to actually visit my property in the almost 11 months since the fault was first reported.

The beauty of arranging an actual visit by an Openreach engineer (even with the threat of a £65 charge hanging over you if the fault is found to be your own) is that we were able to speak directly to the engineer, describe the exact symptoms of the fault and also suggest to him a possible cause as outlined in the link in your first post and also here 

After speaking to the engineer, he visited the exchange and found/fixed the fault. Plusnet have kindly supplied me with a summary of the engineer's report, which states:

"Engineer's notes as follows: The line was noisy due to CP exchange equipment issue. Actions to resolve: Engineer has resolved the fault located at the exchange including DACS equipment. The fault was fixed by changing HDF / tie cables. The test passed on 14/02/2020."

So I'm not exactly sure what all this means or what the exact fault was, but I'm so happy that it's now fixed and that friends and family are now able to get straight through when they phone me rather than having to constantly go through my handset's BT Call Guardian system.

GrahamDS

No problem @Mable76 . Glad you finally got this sorted!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Mable76 Sorry for the time it's taken to fix the fault with your caller display. It sounds like the engineer's replaced what's known as the 'tie-pair' which is part of the broadband equipment at the exchange and can stop caller display from working if it's not functioning correctly even though your broadband may be working fine.

I'm happy to see it's finally working now though, I've added a reply onto your fault ticket Here with an offer for a gesture of goodwill which I hope helps. Let me know by replying to the ticket if you'd be happy to accept.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet