Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display has suddenly stopped working

FIXED
Taisi5
Dabbler

Caller Display has suddenly stopped working

For the past few months our BT8610 handset has stopped allowing numbers in our contacts to ring straight through (requiring them to announce themselves and be approved). We've had this phone and been with Plusnet for years with it all working fine - to my knowledge nothing has changed to cause this. Caller Display appears as an add on on my account page.

Today I've had time to investigate and realised that the phone isn't receiving any caller information to display. I dialled *#234# and discovered that the caller display was switched off (how?!) so I've switched it back on and now calling *#234# I get the message saying that "callers' identities will be displayed". But nothing has changed - the phone is still not displaying the number as it used to and so can't distinguish friend from foe.

Do I just need to wait for the fact that I've switched it on to register somewhere? I'm concerned that as I have no idea how it got switched off, the problem may be more complicated.

18 REPLIES 18
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Caller Display has suddenly stopped working

Have you changed recently from ADSL to FTTC broadband?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Taisi5
Dabbler

No, we've changed nothing for over a year - that's what's so odd.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

This is really odd. I've turned caller display off and then back on for you to see if that helps. Check your phone's display after an hour / the next time you receive a call.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Taisi5
Dabbler

Sadly it is still not working.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just performed some tests on your line which aren't showing us any obvious causes for the issue. With that in mind would you be able to get your hands on a different handset to try out in case that's the issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Duff filters have been know to cause this issue...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Taisi5
Dabbler

We no longer have separate filters... I can't remember exactly the technical details, but we were told to remove them years ago, possibly when we switched to fibre.

Taisi5
Dabbler

I've just tried with my neighbour's phone - still no caller display so I think the information isn't arriving here.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There MUST be a filter, either in the face plate or a “dongle”. Just to be sure, remove the face plate and put the telephone direct into the test socket. If that works then there might be a problem with the faceplate (your responsibility).

If it still does not work, then it is likely to be the line card in the exchange.

Taisi5
Dabbler

Okay, that makes sense. I've just tried plugging the phone into the master socket and there's still no caller ID. What needs to be done about the line card in the exchange? Do I need to do something to get that addressed?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You having done more tests, I would hope that a Plusnet staff member will pick this up and escalate it to BTOR engineering.

Taisi5
Dabbler

I hope this can be sorted soon - I've just had a call from someone offering to sell me a nuisance call blocking service!!

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hey there @Taisi5 , I was going to look over this for you but it seems like you called up yesterday to sort it Smiley Do you need me to do anything else at the minute?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Taisi5
Dabbler

Not at the moment, thanks - the person I spoke to yesterday has hatched a plan and is going to check in with me on Monday morning to see if it's worked.