Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display and 1471

FIXED
trymyluck
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Caller Display and 1471

I raised this issue for my daughter recently but got nowhere so this is one more try.

My daughter has three landline phones, two are Panasonic, one is a BT Decor 2200.  She has been a customer of Plusnet for a few years now for both ADSL Broadband and telephone with everything working OK until, a couple or so weeks ago, when her caller display and 1471 caller identification suddenly stopped working.  I have teleponed Plusnet on her behalf on three occasions to report the fault and she has done all the checks they suggested.  Twice Plusnet have disconnected and later reconnected Caller Display but that action has made no difference.  Their latest suggestion was that her telephone internal caller display was interfering with Plusnet caller display.  I therefore got her to disconnect her two Panasonic phones to see if her BT phone Caller Display now worked. It didn't.  I then asked her to reverse the procedure and disconnect the BT phone to see if the Panasonic phone Caller Display was now working.  It was not.

I have seen suggestions that the Open Reach broadband circuitry can interfere with Caller Display but I do not know if this is true.  Can Open Reach or whoever maintains the service be asked to fully check the lines and equipment to find the cause of the problem and effect a cure as I am not getting this resolved by calling Plusnet. ?

17 REPLIES 17
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Caller Display and 1471

@trymyluck wrote:

...when her caller display and 1471 caller identification suddenly stopped working.

Broadband tie pairs can cause caller display problems, but before commenting further, I'd like to clarify where 1471 fits into this problem, as that service doesn't require caller ID to be enabled.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
trymyluck
Rising Star

When my daughter receives a call her telephones simply display "Incoming Call" whether or not they are on her list of known callers.   And after anyone calls her while she is out and on return she dials 1471 she gets a message which says "We do not have the number to return the call".  It is not the case that she only gets this message when the caller is withholding their number. It applies to all incoming calls.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@trymyluck 

OK, thanks for clarification.

If no numbers are being recorded even on 1471 then it would suggest an exchange fault - possibly a faulty line card.

In any event, it's going to require a response from one of the PN Help Team to get things moving, so hopefully someone will see this topic soon.
@Gandalf  ?

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
trymyluck
Rising Star

Many thanks @ Gandalf.  I shall tell my daughter to await events.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay, I've tested your daughter's line and the tests aren't showing any issues. I can still arrange an engineer to take a look at the exchange, but it'd be as part of a visit to her property. Do you know when she could be available? The engineers are available weekday timeslots of 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
trymyluck
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf. My daughter would be available, preferably, on Tuesday and Thursday morning slots.  If, for any reason, the engineers cannot make a Tuesday or Thursday my daughter could probably arrange to be available on other days and times with a little notice.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've raised a fault and it looks like our suppliers may have fixed the issue remotely.

Could you ask your daughter to check if caller display is working now and get back to me? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
trymyluck
Rising Star

Hello Gandalf,

I rang my daughter from my Plusnet landline phone.  Her caller display said " Unavailable - out of area" .  !471 said number withheld.  I live in Watford, Hertfordshire.  She lives in Bovey Tracey, Devon.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for checking!

I've arranged an engineer visit for Tuesday 11th October 8am to 1pm.

Let me know how it goes.  Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WhoRay1

Hi 

We have had the same problem as this since August 19th 2022. The details you provided are almost a mirror image of the problems we are experiencing, it's uncanny. No caller display, no 1471 multiple panasonic phones and a new BT phone we  purchased to prove the problem was not our equipment. Did all the same checks as you + three visits from Openreach. So we put in a complaint to Plusnet. The upshot is we now have a single contact working to resolve the issue. Having seen you post I have forwarded the link to our contact in the hope that it may prove helpful to both of us. Just in case it's an area thing we live in Cumbria

Ray

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Ray,

Were you on fibre broadband before you moved across to us? Caller display not working properly can commonly be caused by what's known as tie pairs/jumpers at the exchange which have developed a fault. These aren't required with fibre, but if you were on ADSL (standard broadband) before moving, then I wonder if the tie pairs are still left plugged in.

Looking through the ticket 227674211, I see an engineer's swapped out the line card at the exchange but hasn't confirmed if the tie pairs/jumpers have been removed. I've spoken with your case handler and I believe they're querying this with Openreach's escalation team so they'll be getting back to you as soon as they know more. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WhoRay1

Hi Thanks for the reply.
Yes we were on fibre prior to moving from ee on fibre. I do recall one of the Openreach engineers saying he needed to check something had been removed at the exchange and that they would report back to Plusnet. After moving to Plusnet everything was fine for eight months and then caller display failed and the fun started. To be fair the broadband has never been better.
Ray
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Ray,

Ah potentially not what I had in mind then. I'm sure your case handler will stay with you until it's finally fixed. 

Would be interesting to know what fixes this issue in the end. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Gandalf wrote:

Would be interesting to know what fixes this issue in the end. 

👍🏼

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)