cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking unwanted calls

Rupertdevon

Re: Blocking unwanted calls

I too am getting fed up with nuisance calls!  I have been recommended Talk Talk  True call with Number blocker, so I think I'll give it a try.
longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Rupertdevon
I have been recommended Talk Talk  True call with Number blocker, so I think I'll give it a try.

Truecall is a BT thing AFAIK. As I understand it, it used to be separate hardware but it is now integrated into the BT phone set that I have bought (BT 8500 quad set at £89.99) and the full capability relies on CLI (caller line identification) being available on the line. Perhaps Talk Talk sell a version? I can report that it's now several days since I installed my new phones and to date it's 100% successful. I'm with Plusnet for my phone and CLI is a 99pence per month add-on so the cost to me is the new set of 4 phones (which I was getting ready for anyway) and 99p/month. 
peterrey

i have had the BT8500 phones for a while now and they are brilliant Smiley Phone line and fibre broadband with PN. Smiley
gree0115
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: longedge
Quote from: Rupertdevon
I have been recommended Talk Talk  True call with Number blocker, so I think I'll give it a try.

Truecall is a BT thing AFAIK. As I understand it, it used to be separate hardware but it is now integrated into the BT phone set that I have bought (BT 8500 quad set at £89.99) and the full capability relies on CLI (caller line identification) being available on the line. Perhaps Talk Talk sell a version? I can report that it's now several days since I installed my new phones and to date it's 100% successful. I'm with Plusnet for my phone and CLI is a 99pence per month add-on so the cost to me is the new set of 4 phones (which I was getting ready for anyway) and 99p/month. 

Hi Longedge,
It has been incorporated into the BT phones but it is still a separate device which also serves as an answerphone. We have one at home, it's basically like a firewall for your phone and you setup rules regarding how it handles incoming calls. There's a "zap" list for known cold callers and a "star" list for your regular wanted callers. It dials in to a Truecall server after each call (or weekends) to update the web control panel, updating who called etc. It's brilliant, works really well. It's more pricey than others around £100 I think but has virtually stopped all our nuisance calls. You can also ZAP a call mid-call if a cold caller gets through which immediately blocks their number preventing them calling back.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: peterrey
have had the BT8500 phones for a while now and they are brilliant

Now if they had incorporated a timer which cut the current call off automatically after 59 minutes they would be perfect for me, although they would reduce PlusNet income from our phone account and the one belonging to SWMBO sister also with PlusNet  Roll_eyes
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@longedge - Truecall has a 'beep' that you can set to sound at 55 minutes (or 59 minutes or whatever) into the call - reminding you to hang up and redial. It doesn't cut your call off, but it is the next best thing. Whenever I am on a long call and hear that beep, I know to redial.
Truecall was a separate company, and it looks like BT bought (or licensed) the technology to use in their handsets. Other companies may have done the same. I have the stand alone truecall (got it before it was integrated into any handsets) and can vouch for its effectiveness. It really is a clever bit of kit.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: jafreer
Truecall has a 'beep' that you can set to sound at 55 minutes (or 59 minutes or whatever) into the call - reminding you to hang up and redial.

I've tried setting the alarm on my iPhone using rather more than a "beep" but the only thing it achieved  was a black look  Roll_eyes
monabri
Grafter

Use a call blocker (eg Call Saint) but you MUST pay Plusnet an extra 99p per month for Caller Line Identification CLI
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: monabri
Use a call blocker

Not sure if this was @me but if the suggestion is that I block my wife's calls to her sister then I'm not suicidal!!  Grin