cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confused with new charges

foxyoldgit

confused with new charges

Hi all,
First time poster, I;m usually found over on the Consumer Action Group website. I would normally post there but this question needs a swift(ish) reply.
I got the email the other day about the new charges coming in september but after a little trawling, I can't find anything to assist me.
I pay my line rental up front and pay £2.50 for the broadband. I make few calls on my landline but when I do it is through 18185.
Will I be getting a new charge before my contract ends ( November)?
If not then why would I get an email?
Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12
radiotwo
Dabbler

Re: confused with new charges

Price changes - 2nd September 2015
New pricing will apply from 2nd September 2015 as set out below
Line rental will increase from £15.95 per month or £15.99 per month to £16.99 per month
Line Rental Saver will increase from £155.88 for 12 months to £185.88 for 12 months (for those customers signing up or renewing Line Rental Saver from 2nd September)
Evening and Weekends will increase from £2.00 per month to £3.00 per month
Anytime with and without 25% off international destinations will increase from £5.00 per month to £6.00 per month
Anytime International 300 will increase from £7.00 per month to £7.50 per month
Our call set up fee will increase from 15p to 16p per call
Geographic calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers will increase to 10p per minute and mobile calls to 13p per minute
Postage & Packaging will increase from £5.99 to £6.99 (excluding YouView+ set top box at £7.99)
Our early termination charges will change. How much depends on your package.
Some of our call rates will change
For more details on the price changes see our FAQ
dick:quote
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you paid up front (LRS) then you will not be charged any more till it expires (with the exception of call costs), You can if you want renew before the 2nd Sept (you can pay 3 months in advance with LRS)
Or you can move your broadband and phone, but will LOOSE any of your LRS if you move before it expires.
G3WYP
Rising Star

I also received the dreaded email and my advance line rental runs out in November so I phoned PlusNet and was put through to C O T asked if I could pay Advance line rental before it goes up and was told ring in August, 3 months before due and pay old price I also asked f I could get a deal on broadband, I also currently pay £2.50 and was told if I agree to a new 12 month contract I can have at the same price. so my advise is give PlusNet a ring on 0800 013 2632.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting that they offered you such a good deal - the best I was offered for 12 months was £8.99. And £5.99 for a new 24 month contact. ( see my post here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141697.msg1250214.html#msg1250214
I wonder how they decide who gets offered what... Certainly not a terribly transparent process!
foxyoldgit

If you paid up front (LRS) then you will not be charged any more till it expires (with the exception of call costs), You can if you want renew before the 2nd Sept (you can pay 3 months in advance with LRS)
Or you can move your broadband and phone, but will LOOSE any of your LRS if you move before it expires.

Thanks for that. Just what I wanted to hear (read)! Smiley
As it stands, I may be going with SSE and while there is no real feedback on them, the advance line rental is very reasonable and 2 years free broadband. Just depends on whether I can keep the same (or better) deal to stay.
Broadband is now the new cut throat business I feel.
Thanks for all the other replies as well.
Mikewalsh
Grafter

Why is the new line rental saver charge much more expensive than the previous one (+£30). Which is only a net saving of £18 previously £44 ?Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

My opinion - no facts to back it up so nothing new there then  Grin
There were two purposes for the LRS
To save Plusnet money in that they could use the advance payment to improve cash flow or  reduce borrowing or get interest - given the extremely low interest rates at present the saving for Plusnet would now be minuscule
To effectively tie customers in for 12 months after taking it up but now all contracts are 18 months minimum that argument doesn't hold water for new customers or advantageous renewals (via Customer Options) and all the old customers who would have taken it up already did so no real benefit in inducing old customers who hadn't taken it up to do so
Mikewalsh
Grafter

I have renewed mine before the September increase Wink However I doubt I will use LRS next year (the saving is not enough to justify it)  Sad
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Agree with your last statement^^^^^^
I have always taken LRS as it was a good saving however, with the lower savings I have no intention of renewing it next Feb, tho' I may consider doing so nearer the summer/autumn when PN inherently have their price rises. It will all depend on what price rises are announced next year.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The 'dreaded' price increase email actually worked out quite good for me. My options are limited being in a market 1 exchange but I am on fibre. Fortunately, in the window I had to cancel penalty free, BT dropped their fibre price to the lowest I have ever seen for unlimted 38Mb fibre. I called COT and they matched that price. My current LRS ends mid October, allowing me to renew at the current rate before the September 2nd price rise.
I doubt my deal is anywhere near as good as those on a Market 3 exchange, but for a Market 1 exchange, I don't think I could have done any better. Only reason it worked out was timing, nothing else.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Does taking PN's LRS have any side benefits other than the discount? If it doea, they need to be taken in to consideration too.
Actually my phone service is with BT, as I am quite skeptical about package deals, and the problems that arise with part cancellations due to unrelated contract dates. In BT's case my AnyTime contract, when combined with LRS has with it  "free caller id". Without LRS that would cost £1.75 per month. Added together without LRS the yearly charge will be from 20/9 £236.88 , whereas with LRS  £194.29.
That makes for me an 18% discount, so irrelevant as it may be to PN, I suggest that just to look at one aspect of price rises may not always be such a good idea.
Motto: always look at things in the round. Also be careful of averages: they're OK at the macro (company ) level, but iffy at the micro.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@lucerne - I think taking the LRS is really only a cost saving benefit. Can't think of any other benefit. Prior to Sept 2nd, the equivalent line rental is 12.99 per month, which these days is quite competitive. After Sept 2nd, I don't see much sense in taking LRS at all as the saving is too small given that you are tied in for a year.
The downside to LRS of course is where the end dates don't match the broadband contract end dates. This will become less of an issue going forward because the saving you get with LRS is hardly enough to offset the downside of contract timing mismatches. So a lot less people will take LRS (unless they time it to match the end of a fibre contract).
I agree with you to look at the cost of the entire package.