cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block a single outgoing number

NRAT12

Block a single outgoing number

Hi all, I pay my Nana’s phone bill (Unlimited UK & Mobile and Broadband package) and have noticed a lot of extra outgoing payments over the last few months. Looking at the bill she seems to be dialling 123 (the world clock) numerous times, is there any way I can block this number from connecting as an outgoing call? (She has dementia so explaining is not an option, nor is disconnecting the phone. She has a basic handset designed for those who struggle with eyesight so does not have any digital settings I can look at)

Please help! It’s a lot of 50p a go adding up! Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Block a single outgoing number

Are you sure it is her dialling and not due to a fault on the line?

NRAT12

I honestly wouldn’t know, I just assumed she was dialling it as I thought 123 would be the most logical sequence for her? She is very interested in the phone as she enjoys when we ring her.

Do you know how I would be able to tell if it is a fault or her dialling? Thanks for your reply!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you can have a more detailed look at the bill. Are there any other random numbers? Are the calls made at times when  option people are out or asleep? Try the phone, is there noise on the line, dial  - is it quiet and did it report the correct number - that number is free.

NRAT12

All the 123 numbers are at very ‘normal’ times when I would expect my Nana to be awake, and I have used the phone today whilst there and didn’t notice any odd noises when I dialled. No other strange misdials on the bill, but when I am next round I will try and dial another random 3 digit number and see if (even without connecting) it shows on next months bill or not! If it doesn’t, I’ll take it as it is likely being dialled. I googled 123 which is how I found out it is the world clock, and it says on Google search that it is 50p per call. I might have to try and call plus net again and see if they can block it on their end and see if it stops. Thanks for your help
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

123 calls can be charged when not dialled intentionally by the user.

It has been bad practice amongst BT engineers (most probably their subcontractors) to dial 123 (rather than using other methods) from the green cabinet when looking for a spare exchange circuit.  See Phantom Calls to the 123 Speaking Clock on BT Openreach Phone Lines - ISPreview UK - this refers to Outbound Call Barring ... but notes that such does not appear to block calls to 123.  So blocking access to the number appears not to be a likely solution.  So your next best option is a hand set which on which you can block outbound numbers.  I have a Panasonic KX-TCA122E (ancient but there must be similar available - possibly KX-TGD622E) which has a feature call CALL RESTRICT to block outbound numbers.  I have "09" blocked.  Also used to have "07" blocked when the step kids lived here!!!!!!

Some line faults can give rise to dialling pulses (that is how digits were dialled before tone dialling) which depending on the number and spacing will cause low digit numbers to be dialled randomly.  Bad numbers go nowhere ... whilst good numbers appear on your bill.  123 is one such number.

When contacting Plusnet, it would be wise to discuss the whole scenario and ask then to check the line for a fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

How long do these '123' calls last? If they're only a second or two, it would suggest that it's Openreach or contractor engineers, as mentioned by @Townman .

Murphy was an optimist
Zen SOGEA 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 222

Hi @NRAT12 I've just sent you a PM, please get back to me when you can. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
NRAT12

I have replied thanks