cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT master socket 5C Mk4 extension wiring.

FIXED
edthebowler
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

BT master socket 5C Mk4 extension wiring.

I've wired in a 5C Mk4 master socket, with my router plugged into the Mk4 front plate and a telephone extension connected to the terminals on the 5C rear plate. Is this extension already filtered, or do I still need an ADSL splitter to connect my extension phone?

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: BT master socket 5C Mk4 extension wiring.

This https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/blog/installing-a-mk4nte5c-combined-socket-14.php should help

The connector on the 5c rear plate is filtered by the mk4 faceplate. It seems strange but the plug that connects the faceplate has connectors top and bottom. The incoming line is connected via the top pins and then the return filtered connection is fed back to the rear plate by the bottom pins.

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

These sockets also have terminals giving you unfiltered output too, useful if you need to plug your router into a remote ADSL socket.
edthebowler
Dabbler

Thank you MisterW. What you say confirms what I thought. The problem with the 'run-it-direct' info, which I think I've seen before, is that it says 'extensions for telephones ...' which implies telephones only but does not actually say so.

Ed

edthebowler
Dabbler

Hi Gel. Your reply appears to contradict the advice given by MisterW. If the terminals are filtered for telephones only, then I don't see how they can be used for ADSL. I am aware there are separate ADSL terminals on the Mk4 faceplate for a dedicated ADSL extension.

Ed

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The terminals on the 5c backplate ( 2nd picture in the link ) are filtered, so extensions wired to this can ONLY be used for telephones.

The terminals on the back of the mk4 faceplate ( 3rd picture ) are unfiltered. Extension wired to this can be used for broadband or telephones BUT will need a filter to be plugged in to the extension.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

edthebowler
Dabbler

Fix

Thank you again MisterW. That has clarified things. I didn't realise that the Mk4 faceplate terminals could also be used for telephone so Gel is also correct.