Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox multi player

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Xbox multi player

@Gandalf wrote:

I'm going to investigate further with our networks and products guys because ideally leaving the static IP on isn't a long term solution for this.

Plusnet having IPv6 is the long term solution !

Can you ask the networks and products guys what is the current biggest obstacle preventing enabling IPv6 ?

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you ask the networks and products guys what is the current biggest obstacle preventing enabling IPv6 ?

This is nothing to do with IPv6. Customers on static IP addresses currently connect to our network via a slightly different route, being on a dynamic IP shouldn't ordinarily experience any issues but we are seeing a small number of people who are experiencing problems that are resolved by adding a static IP. We are trying to get to the bottom of why this is happening so that we're able to resolve it for everyone.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not really an answer to the question @JonoH! The question posed by @Anonymous is quite plain regardless of the topic into which it is posted.

JonoH
Hero

You're right, @Anonymous was incorrect in his assumption of what the problem/solution was. To keep the conversation on topic, I corrected him and advised what the actual problem was and what we're doing to try to fix it. I'm happy to have a full and frank conversation about IPv6 but I don't think this is the correct thread to do it in as we have a customer here, who's had a problem, that's been fixed.. I'd like, if other customers were experiencing the same thing if they could easily find this and comment so we can rectify their issue as well.

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@JonoH wrote:

Customers on static IP addresses currently connect to our network via a slightly different route, being on a dynamic IP shouldn't ordinarily experience any issues but we are seeing a small number of people who are experiencing problems that are resolved by adding a static IP.

For the sake of my sanity, is this just an XB360 and/or XB1 issue only?

Or possibly a PS4 issue too?

Or a small number, as in it's affecting other customers (me included) using other devices too?

I hope these Q's aren't taking things o/t, just trying to understand who, what, why Smiley

TIA

JonoH
Hero

@DS wrote:

For the sake of my sanity, is this just an XB360 and/or XB1 issue only?

No, it can be anything.

Or a small number, as in it's affecting other customers (me included) using other devices too?

yes, it seems to be an issue with the routing rather than with the customers' device.

I hope these Q's aren't taking things o/t, just trying to understand who, what, why Smiley

Happy to answer any questions that help customers understand and potentially self-diagnose similar issues

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion

@JonoH  Thanks for the swift response !! Thumbs_Up After picking myself off the floor (due to swiftness), I've one or two more Q's

(sorry)

- When did this actually start?

It's just that I've been having issues for quite a while, though more so recently Sad The example given has been observed for several days at least.

as an aside observation - When we physically witness this, then make yourselves aware of issues, and yourselves (sometimes) acknowledge this, why doesn't a sticky or service status page go up straight away, even for small volumes of customers? If you do this, as soon as you're aware, then I must be missing something.

Not having a pop at anyone or the processes and procedures at PN Towers, it's just that we can link others to that page rather than trawling through to find a PN response..... - I think that makes sense.

JonoH
Hero

@DS wrote:

@JonoH  Thanks for the swift response !! Thumbs_Up After picking myself off the floor (due to swiftness), I've one or two more Q's

(sorry)

There's nothing to apologise for.

- When did this actually start?

We have seen very few (less than 5) examples so far, the oldest the Friday before last.

It's just that I've been having issues for quite a while, though more so recently Sad The example given has been observed for several days at least.

Absolutely happy to troubleshoot you through this to help see what your problem is. If you can create a new thread and tag me we can start right now. (I may have to delegate it to someone a little more tech-savvy than I).

as an aside observation - When we physically witness this, then make yourselves aware of issues, and yourselves (sometimes) acknowledge this, why doesn't a sticky or service status page go up straight away, even for small volumes of customers? If you do this, as soon as you're aware, then I must be missing something.

Fair question. If we post a service status every time we have a small number of people experiencing something that may be related to each other, that we've not been able to diagnose as an actual issue yet then we'd have hundreds of service status' posted every day.  It would then become impossible for customers to see if they're impacted by the issue. It also becomes too easy for agents to assume that your account is part of the known problem and just advise that you need to await resolution rather than actually troubleshooting your issue.

Our Service Status tool is also, not as agile as we'd like, if I posted this it would mark Plusnet Broadband as "down" nationwide, that's obviously not correct.  (and is something I am working on improving)

Not having a pop at anyone or the processes and procedures at PN Towers, it's just that we can link others to that page rather than trawling through to find a PN response..... - I think that makes sense.

It's okay, I'm super open to feedback questions and constructive criticism. 

Jono H
JonoH
Hero

Incidentally @Alexb75 we think that we've spotted the problem and that it's with a certain range of IP addresses. this range has now been removed. To make sure that this is definitely the cause we' would like to remove your static IP and put you back on a dynamic one if your issue returns we will switch you straight back. 

Jono H
Alexb75
Dabbler

Brilliant thankyou 👍
JonoH
Hero

You're now on a dynamic IP and we've dropped your connection for a few seconds in order ofr these changes to take effect. Please let us know if the issue returns.

Jono H
Alexb75
Dabbler

Wasn’t dynamic IP removed last week?
JonoH
Hero

It was removed when we were troubleshooting the issue. We believe that we've isolated it and have fixed it. We have put you back on a dynamic IP but if the issue returns let us know and we will immediately put you back on a static IP 

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion

@JonoH 

There's nothing to apologise for.

Thanks for that.

the oldest the Friday before last.

Again thanks for clarifying, it kinda tallies with what I've witnessed.

Absolutely happy to troubleshoot you through this to help see what your problem is. If you can create a new thread and tag me we can start right now. (I may have to delegate it to someone a little more tech-savvy than I).

You did ask! You may need a cleaning cupboard, a large drink of your choice, a do not disturb sign and plenty of time. Unrelated to this new issue, but mine actually started way back on 26/06/18. A heart attack later (ironically stress caused it!) and I resurrected it again. You'll see that I was reporting forum page loading issues 2 weeks ago, though I've also had this happen before. A more recent oddity (MoR tagged you) with the forums also may need a look at.

Fair question. If we post a service status every time we have a small number of people experiencing something that may be related to each other, that we've not been able to diagnose as an actual issue yet then we'd have hundreds of service status' posted every day. 

Totally agree. I do tend to read posts via the recent posts page and, for example, the billing issues could well have a statement acknowledging that issue at the top of the billing section. Having 'something' there would be beneficial to all imho.

It would then become impossible for customers to see if they're impacted by the issue.

Hmm, possibly, but also one could rule themselves out of that particular issue too...? As an example, I've not, as yet, been affected by the billing issue(s), but have become a little more I'd better keep an eye on this just in case. I can also use the data transfer rate page you've removed as another example - a sticky, or announcement before 'we' spot this is surely better.

Our Service Status tool is also, not as agile as we'd like, if I posted this it would mark Plusnet Broadband as "down" nationwide, that's obviously not correct.  (and is something I am working on improving)

Again, totally see where you're coming from. But an 'Issue that may interrupt your internet experience or billing or removal of now redundant services, rather than 'we broke it for everyone' style informative post would show us you're open and transparent.  - just my opinion.

Anyway, is there a time scale to when you think this current issue is going to be resolved - a few days, weeks, months! Wink

JonoH
Hero

@DS wrote:

@JonoH 

Anyway, is there a time scale to when you think this current issue is going to be resolved - a few days, weeks, months! Wink

We believe it's resolved Smiley 

Jono H