Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Steam Pile of Shame

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The Steam Pile of Shame

This doesn't apply to just steam but more of the way that gaming has gone by providing online shops to buy bundles of games or take advantage of those tasty 90% off games you see these days. I buy games from Steam, Bundlestars and Humble Bundle and my digital collection has become very bloated.

Over the years I have bought hundreds of games on PC and have probably played about a quarter of them for more than a few hours. I got a lot of games that I would buy but then never play or I would play for 10 minutes and simply say 'meh' and never return.

Do you have a pile of shame? Are there any games in your pile that you'd like to give more time but simply have better things to play? These games are the ones I own and really want to play but know I don't have time:

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pritviat
  • Project Zomboid
  • Dying Light
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Saints Row 4
  • Bastion
  • Pokemon Yellow (3DS)

The list goes on and on but those are a handful of the games I really want to get into but can't find the time or just go back to my default (BF4 or Trackmania 2).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

24 REPLIES 24
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: The Steam Pile of Shame

This is a terrible terrible subject!!!  Steam calculator really shines a light on how bad it is:

https://steamdb.info/calculator/

Most shameful for me is that I currently have 34% unplayed and only about 15% higher than 12 hours play time...

Most notable games on the list that I have bought and not got to:

Fallout 3+4

Skyrim

The Walking Dead

Hitman Blood Money

Bioshock

Mass Effect

Tags (1)
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fallout 4 is the same for me too. I think I played about 4 hours then decided to spend 8 hours modding it before I got bored. I think the boredom came as soon as the town creation stuff kicked in and I just lost the will to play anymore.

Skyrim on the other hand... i have put about 300 hours into that but haven't even touched the DLC stuff yet.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

tokey
Aspiring Pro

On the other side of the coin I have over 900 hours in Crusader Kings 2?  

Oh wait, that might be shame too....

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@tokey wrote:

This is a terrible terrible subject!!!  Steam calculator really shines a light on how bad it is:

Most shameful for me is that I currently have 34% unplayed and only about 15% higher than 12 hours play time...

I have 64% unplayed games Embarrassed

I blame all the tempting humble bundles that I've bought just because it works out cheaper to get the bundle than it would to buy 1 or 2 of the games I wanted from it Grin

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@tokey wrote:

Bit of an eye opener. Out of my 341 games owned I have 114 games that I have never ever played (34%).

Now I feel sad.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Games I've bought through steam:

American Truck Simulator

Euro Truck Simulator 2

GTA 4

GTA Episodes from Liberty City (TLAD & TBOGT)

Kerbal Space Program

Prison Architect

Unturned

The least played is actually Kerbal, followed by EFLC, the rest (excluding ATS as it's fairly new) all have at least 70+ hours since buying...

I just don't buy tonnes of games in the hopes of finding something decent, I let others do that and I pick the best of the bunch... Grin

tokey
Aspiring Pro

Steam sales, key site and humble bundles are all too tempting though....

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

213 Games owned
105 Games not played
49% Games not played

10 games with more than 100 hours played, with 3 having more than 500 hours put in.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I've played 100% of my games!

My library might be a bit underwhelming to some though:

lib.JPG

Looks like I'm slacking this year Roll_eyes

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

@tokey
Fallout 3+4 & Skyrim are some of my most played games!
Played Bioshock & ME to the end, not played the rest

But yes I to have a load of never played games, but I bought them as free for the game I wanted on Bundlestars or Humble bundles.

My most played game is Civilisation V, knocked up many 1000's of hours there ;-(

But my "played" stats are skewed since I use idlemaster to get key drops from the free games. So a lot show upto 4 hours "playing" when I have never touched them, I hate sideways scrolling and platform games, preferring rpg & action ones.
tokey
Aspiring Pro

They are all games I know I will enjoy @HairyMcbiker but never get the time to sit down and play

I have used idlemaster in the past too Wink

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

210 owned, 59% unplayed Shocked

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

ive got about 15 games ive never got round to playing, most of them from steam sales

tokey
Aspiring Pro

There is quite a trend of people with large amounts of unplayed games...  I wonder how sustainable in the long term this will be for the gaming market...