cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Xbox One

K1eran

Port Forwarding Xbox One

Hello,

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been getting randomly disconnected from Xbox partys and have been struggling to join friends in-game lobbies. I have contacted Xbox support and they have given me a list of ports that I need to forward, and also said to contact my ISP (that being Plusnet). I contacted Plusnet via Twitter and they just referred me to the forums. 

I know how to port forward, I have done it before, my issue is that there are multiple Xbox's connected to my network and I don't want to prevent the other Xbox's from connecting to Xbox live if I only forward one. Can someone confirm whether I can port forward to one Xbox without preventing the others from functioning, and I if I cant do this, what my other options are?

Just to let you know, I am not using the Plusnet router, I am using a Google WiFi router and mesh network, and the Xbox is wired in via ethernet.

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
minimos
Grafter

Re: Port Forwarding Xbox One

Hi,

What you require can certainly be done (I have 2 working Xbox One consoles) connected to multiplayer with an Open NAT.

It might be good to have a bit more background on your setup first.

1. How many Xbox consoles are in the same network (household)?

2. Has the disconnects only just recently started?

3. Have there been any changes to your network setup recently?

4. You mention that you have Google WiFi and mesh network, are you referring to this as one product (router and satellite APs) or have you connected another set of wireless access points to the existing Google Wifi?

5. Do others see the same issue when using their Xbox's?

6. Is the issue affecting certain games or is it all Xbox Party chat?

Thanks

Minimos

K1eran

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Heres the answers to your questions:

1. There are 3 Xbox's currently connected to the network
  2. Disconnects started a couple of weeks ago. I have had occasional issues in the past that just fix themselves after a few days
  3. I haven't changed anything to the network recently
  4. I am using the Google WiFi product only (the router and satellite AP's
  5. Others do have the same issue, however not usually at the same time
  6. The issue is definitely effecting Xbox Party chat the most, however, I am also struggling to get into lobbies on Rainbow Six Siege sometimes.

Thanks for taking the time to help, very much appreciated it,

Kieran

minimos
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  My guess is poorly implemented uPnP on the router is causing the issue, I have owned a number of devices over the years some just work  with multiple consoles others don't.  Sometimes fixing it can be a game of chase depending on how each router has been configured internally and also from the user settings.

What I would do first is to attempt to ascertain a number of things by running some simple tests. (These help understand the triggers for the problem if one change does not fix an issue, it's important they are done methodically).

1.  Ensure all. Xbox on the network are powered down. Please make sure they are not iinstant power on mode for this, but are in energy saving  mode, this can be switched back once you are done testing and things work. Xbox Power Settings 

2. Reboot the Google WiFi system (a good way of ensuring the uPnP ports are cleared), shouldn't need to do this often.

3. Check that uPnP is on on Google WiFi Google WiFi uPnP .  I don't have a  Google WiFi device but I am hoping the screen shown in the app allows you to see port mappings being used as well as it's useful for later.

4.  Boot up 1 Xbox, then run the multilayer connection check under Check Xbox One Network settings .  Also once this is complete run the check NAT test on the Xbox one.  Sometimes the multiplayer check will warn about nat type, which can. sometimes not show as open on the first test even when ports are open (again depends on router behaviour).

5.  Note down the NAT status and the ip address assigns to the Xbox.  It will be shown on the right of the setting screen.

6.  Go into the routers uPnP settings above and see if there are ports now open and mapped to the Xbox, I would expect to see at least 3074.

7.  If step 7 shows open ports to the Xbox start a party with someone outside your network and attempt a couple of multiplayer games and post your results back here, including NAT status and ip address (this up will be from a private address range starting either 192. 10. Or 172.), Do not post your public WAN address.

Your problem with multiple Xboxes is not resolved yet, but we are understanding a baseline for the next steps

Thanks

Minimos

.  .  

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Gaming.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine