Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Routers and Port Forwarding

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet Routers and Port Forwarding

You typically see that content error when you try creating a port forwarding rule that shares ports with an existing game or application. Have a look for a pre-configured game/application called 'web server' or something similar and try using that instead of creating a new one.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

harvey2610

Hi there , i am trying to set up port forwarding so that i can access my CCTV on 4g etc etc , however , when i enter the ports 80 for example , it brings up an error to choose a number between 0 - 65535.

Any help would be appeciated , 

Many thanks

Steben

Hi not sure if this is the rite place but I'm guessing it is.im trying to port forward my xbox one and iv followed the instructions iv been given and when I try to add it it says I already have one existing and I need to delete one but not sure how ?any help would be nice.
nigeldodd
Hooked

This is not about gaming but it is about port forwarding to allow a the web server (port 80) of a solar photovoltaic inverter (pv box) to be visible to me when I am not in the house. 

Initially when I connected it up the pv box was listed with the other connected devices on the home page of the Plusnet Hub Zero and I could see it was allocated 192.168.1.8 and it gave the MAC address of the pv box.

After a few minutes this disappeared from the list on the home page of the Hub Zero. But it was still working and I could see the pv box's web server on 192.168.1.8.

When I go to the port forwarding screen, I can't allocate the pv box because the only devices you can allocate are in the drop down list with their associated MAC address and, because the pv box is no longer listed on the home page as a connected device, I can't allocate it for port forwarding.

I have disconnected and reconnected the pv box and power cycled the Hub Zero but to no avail.

I have read elsewhere that the Hub Zero only lists devices that have had their IP address allocated by DHCP. So you can't see devices with fixed IP addresses. However this pv box accepts a DHCP allocation, so I don't know what is going on to cause it to disappear from the list of connected devices.

nigeldodd
Hooked

I would like to allow a the web server (port 80) of a solar photovoltaic inverter (pv box) to be visible to me when I am not in the house.

Initially when I connected it up the pv box was listed with the other connected devices on the home page of the Plusnet Hub Zero and I could see it was allocated 192.168.1.8 and it gave the MAC address of the pv box.

After a few minutes this disappeared from the list on the home page of the Hub Zero. But it was still working and I could see the pv box's web server on 192.168.1.8.

When I go to the port forwarding screen, I can't allocate the pv box because the only devices you can allocate are in the drop down list with their associated MAC address and, because the pv box is no longer listed on the home page as a connected device, I can't allocate it for port forwarding.

I have disconnected the pv box and power cycled the Hub Zero but to no avail.

I have read elsewhere that the Hub Zero only lists devices that have had their IP address allocated by DHCP. So you can't see devices with fixed IP addresses. However this pv box accepts a DHCP allocation, so I don't know what is going on to cause it to disappear from the list of connected devices.

By way of an update on this continuing saga, I have managed to achieve port forwarding. A few days after the previous attempt I again plugged the pv box into the router while watching the list of connections. This time the pv box was listed and I quickly (or as quickly as is possible with having to read the small print on the router to get the password to log in to the advanced settings of the router) I was able to allocate the pv box to port 80 and I can see it from outside the house. This is great, but I have no confidence that I will be able to repeat the process if necessary. I now need to setup a no-dns system for when the Plusnet-allocated IP address changes.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I now need to setup a no-dns system for when the Plusnet-allocated IP address changes.

or for a one-off £5 fee you could request a static IP from PlusNet. If you do so you might also want to request that the rDNS is changed from the <accountname>.plus.com to <ipaddress>.plus.com to hide your account name.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sandmatt
Dabbler

Any idea how to get NAT type 1 on PS4 with a Plus Net Home Hub... especially for Destiny 2... I followed the guide on portforwarding but only stay at type 2.

FRPrice
Hooked

I am a new Plus Net user and am trying to configure my router to accept Vodafone Sure Signal traffic. I have tried to follow your guide to opening the ports that are needed. I have tried to create an application called "sure signal" with the settings show below, but on saving the data the TCP/UDP settings all revert to UDP.

The ports I need are:

8     TCP        UDP       Unassigned 

50   TCP        UDP       Remote Mail Checking Protocol 

53   TCP        UDP       Domain Name System (DNS) 

67   UDP       Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Server; also used by Dynamic Host         

68   UDP       Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Client; also used by Dynamic Host Configuration                              

123 UDP       Network Time Protocol (NTP)—used for time synchronization 

500  UDP       Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) 

1723    TCP        UDP       Microsoft Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) 

4500    UDP       IPsec NAT Traversal

33434 - 33445     UDP       Traceroute for IP location check and bandwidth estimation 

Is there a way round this?

Many thanks

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Which router are you using?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@FRPrice you shouldn't need to do any port forwarding for the SureSignal. Just plug it in , leave it and it should (eventually) sort itself out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FRPrice
Hooked

That's odd - it's been plugged in for four days with several factory resets of the sure signal but still not working I'm afraid.

FRPrice
Hooked

It's a Sagemcom 2704N

FRPrice
Hooked

Hi - its a Sagemcom 2704N as supplied by Plus Net.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Solmark
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

The actual use of port forwarding isn't officially support by PN as far as I can see. I've managed to setup my Plusnet Hub One to port forward to my internal webserver and get games working with no issues at all.

My only advice is to check that the ports you want to forward are not already included in a different scope. As an example, you don't need to add a custom port 80, just use the pre-set Web Server in the drop down list.

Also, adding the custom ports themselves isn't enough, you also need to go in to the Port Forwarding screen and add the custom port to the IP/MAC address of your target device.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@FRPrice, there's a firmware update that addresses some of the nuances with port forwarding on the Hub Zero. I've just pushed the update to your device. Interested to know whether or not it's helped?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵