cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing World of Warcraft issues

EmilyC

Re: Ongoing World of Warcraft issues

Hi,

I made an account just to give more information on this issue.

I have also been having the same issue, but only after I moved house and had the broadband switched over to my new address.

Since this, I was unable to log into World of Warcraft. I always received the error 'World server is down'.

After googling around and finding a thread on the Warcraft forums with a similar issue, and everyone else saying they were on Plusnet, I came to look at this thread here on the Plusnet community site.

There was a lot of talk saying a static IP fixed the issue, so I called up Plusnet support last night and requested a static IP on my account. The guy at Plusnet put a static IP on my account, and my week-long issue of being unable to get on Warcraft was fixed! No issues whatsoever and I can actually log in. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to hear things are looking better for you both. Thumbs_Up

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mov
Grafter

I had a brief sesh last night between about 1930 and 2045 following a router restart and no issues yet. However a few things to hear in mind:

- it was common for me to have the odd day where it behaved itself, even without static ip
- I did not do much in the way of character swapping, reporting, flying or zoning. These were previous pinch points
- I was not anywhere you'd consider busy. My own private instance of a mists of pandaria endless halls made scenario. Hardly pushing the boundaries.
- I often found things were temporarily better after a router restart even historically.

This is all anecdotal. I'll continue to test this evening or tomorrow and report back when/if I encounter issues.

Very interested in the above poster who said this happened when they moved house. Me too, by the way. What would happen with the way our connections route which might be different to before bit share common ground with other posters. Clearly this does not affect all Plus net users but this might be beyond coincidence?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@EmilyC thanks for taking the time to post and sorry to see you've been having problems before applying a static IP to your account. I've added this to a spreadsheet of data I've collated which we can use to try to find a common theme.

One observation I'm making is that before you moved house you were on a 146.199.x.x range, but following your house move you were on 51.7.x.x until the static IP was applied.

@mov thanks for the feedback. Would be really interesting to hear if the problems are definitely still resolved for you. If it helps the dynamic IP you've got and had since about 6pm last night, you had one from the same range on the 4th July.

Scanning through all the IP addresses you've had before and after you moved house, there doesn't seem to be any correlation as there are a mix of ranges and some IPs you've had before you moved you had after too.

It's possible that the fact the problem occurred following a house move may be a red herring. Generally dynamic IPs are very sticky which means you'll likely be assigned the same one or of a similar range.

During a house move you can be without a connection for a protracted period of time, so when your connection returns you're more likely to get a different dynamic IP. That said you may still get a similar one.

Just a bit of head scratching going on there.

How's everyone else's gameplay going?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
samwalton
Dabbler

I haven't had any issues in the past few days of playing, but likewise am cautious because I've had periods of a week or so before without incident.

llamafarmer
Hooked

Hi,

I've been having the same issues as other people have described (I found my way here via the battle net forum).

The errors have been occurring for a few weeks now, maybe since the start or middle of June if memory serves correctly. My tracert and Looking Glass data is similar to what other folks have posted. I may, may, have had some success by running flushdns after having an issue, but that could be coincidence. I had the most trouble the past two evenings, after 21:00.

Anything you can do to help? Could I try the static IP solution that some of the other customers on this board have been given?

Many thanks!

samwalton
Dabbler

Just had it happen to me, and I recorded for a minute or so with Wireshark. Should I attach the file here or send it privately?

skunknste
Dabbler

Hi, I had no issues with the static IP applied. Yesterday and today though it has been playing up with dropouts etc.  So i checked my ipconfig /all and i am no longer on a static IP, can you fix this please Huh  Never had any issues with any other ISP.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@samwalton wrote:

Just had it happen to me, and I recorded for a minute or so with Wireshark. Should I attach the file here or send it privately?

You can post here, as long as you are comfortable iwth anyone being able to download it.  It is a capture of all the traffic coming in and out of your computer (unless you apply some filtering rules for the capture).   It should contain details of everything your computer was doing online at the time.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Qunite
Hooked

I made a separate post originally but just to give my feedback I had the exact same issue as most of the people when instancing but once changed to a static IP I have no longer had any issues.

James1o1o
Grafter

Couple of days now on the static IP, and everything has been absolutely perfect. No issues what so ever.

Marilya
Dabbler

@mov I'm another one who recently moved house and had no issues beforehand. Could literally be the number of connections on the line in the new homes being way higher than previously? Either way, it's odd that it's happening at all...

However, I've had no issues at all on the static IP, so if that's what it takes to keep it working properly then I'm good with that!

Kelly
Hero

Hi all.

The next time you experience this issue can you jump on here and:

1) Go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ and tell us what your "Public IPv4" is.

2) Go to http://eu-looking-glass.battle.net/ and run a test for your realm and post it.

3) Describe what you were seeing and if you can the exactly time it was happening.

Optional: 4)  A wireshark if you are comfortable with capturing one and don't mind sharing the data.

Thanks!

Kelly Dorset
khorne

hey I have been having the same problem as everyone else after coming to the forum and finding that changing to a static IP works I phoned plus net and they refused to set me up with a static IP saying that it wouldn't help 

Kelly
Hero

Hey @khorne when did you last have this issue?

Kelly Dorset