Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing World of Warcraft issues

Tairbh
Dabbler

Re: Ongoing World of Warcraft issues

@Gandalf wrote:

@Tairbh, to narrow down where the problem lies, I've done that for you now.

Can you let us know how it goes please?

Thank you! I played a couple of hours last night without problem, unfortunately it's so intermittent that that can't be taken as a sign of it being fixed yet; it can easily go several days without me encountering it anyway, but it's a good start. I'll hope it continues to work!

I'm on a wired connection btw, seeing the further discussion. And I've downloaded Wireshark but given the unpredictability it'll be very hard to actually get a capture; I'll have to hope the "world server down" error appears, as that one lasts a few minutes, but it's the much less common of the two.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Don't worry if you're finding it too difficult to pin it down.  You'll just end up with a very large file if you leave it collecting a while. It just becomes much more important for you to note down the times of when the errors occurred so we can find them, and you might need a large bit of storage somewhere so we can get access to the file.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
atr_
Hooked

hey

literally just signed up to post in this thread because i'm having the same issues. never occured to me that it might be a problem with plus.net. i'm in-game right now and i've received three "transfer aborted: instance not found" errors within the last 5 minutes

seems to happen quite regularly at peak times - i can usually play in the early hours without much incident

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey @atr_

As adding a static IP appears to have resolved this for others I've done the same for you now.

Could you let us know how your next gaming session goes?

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

As someone who's just gone back to it (Horde Draenor) I'm having no problems in the Vanilla content, Logged into my 110 Alliance and experienced no issues in Legion content 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
atr_
Hooked

@Gandalf

hey, thank you. i've not had any errors yet but it's still pretty early for warcraft (15:42 at time of writing) so i'll post back later on tonight. i've been getting the error every single day for the past month or so, so i'll notice if it goes more smoothly tonight

thank you

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. Over the next couple of days I plan to reactivate my own WoW account (Human Warlock :D) and try to replicate the problem you're all experiencing, using a test account (As my own staff one has a static IP).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mov
Grafter

@Gandalf I wouldn't wish this frustration on anyone, however, it would be really interesting if you do manage to get the same issues. Also Warlock's represent - they're getting really interesting in the new expansion!

It's worth mentioning that I have a good friend and Plusnet user who has experienced none of these issues at all. And, prior to a few months ago neither did I. There must be a commonality between us all.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I wouldn't wish this frustration on anyone, however, it would be really interesting if you do manage to get the same issues. 

This may be more difficult to replicate than I thought. Bought a months subscription* and it turns out my connection is provisioned** at wholesale level on essentially the same routing that a static IP provides. 

*Won't go to waste though, at least this gives me the opportunity to get back into WoW. 

**I'll see if I can do anything about that.

Also Warlock's represent - they're getting really interesting in the new expansion!

Oh nice, back in the day Vanilla to Legion I was a big fan of the Horde with my main characters being a Blood Elf Hunter and Undead Priest, but recently I've found myself enjoying the Alliance.

It's worth mentioning that I have a good friend and Plusnet user who has experienced none of these issues at all. And, prior to a few months ago neither did I. There must be a commonality between us all.

Thanks for the info. If a static IP resolves this for you all then hopefully with some wiresharks and data, we can look into this further.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
atr_
Hooked

well, i'm horde @ draenor right now and haven't had a timeout error yet, and it's pretty busy in-game. hopefully haven't jinxed it, but seems to be working for now. Smiley

carljones
Dabbler

Hello,

Same issues as describe, cant get from one location to another without connection issues. Have raised a ticket with Blizz but then thought about here and this is exactly my issue too.

My PC is high end, connected via Cat5 to the router and i am pulling my hair out.

What do you suggest i try to resolve it?

EDIT here's a wireshark capture of me trying to log in from the Warcraft character window and getting refuse due to world server being down ( it is not)

carljones
Dabbler

Just to add what i can see, a number of packets are unrecognised (unrecognised packet type) being sent from and to the Warcraft server (37.244.61.201) eventually the transfer is cancelled, see frame 334 from the above log.

EDIT

Had a response from Blizzard, a long email but the meat of it is as follows:

This kind of issue can be caused by your computer not loading the game assets for the new zone quickly enough or if your computer has connection issues.

Turn of some of your AV (I run spyware malware and a regular AV) down to just one main now.

We recommend using an SSD or a fast R/W drive, 7200 rpm as a minimum - currently installed on a 7200rpm new drive so not changing that as the SSD is to small.

MS to to Router is slow - replaced the powerline adapter with a Cat7 cable, now at 1 ms to router

Will monitor the connection over the weekend and then resubmit to them the required logs if it happens again.

mov
Grafter

Good to get a rare blizz response but seems a bit generic?

In my case the only thing that would potentially flag is that I am connected via Wifi but when I have these issues everything else works fine and people with solid wired connections are still seeing these issues. Still not convinced. I wish blizzard would engage more with these types.of things.
carljones
Dabbler

Agree very generic. Something they did mention that i didn't was

While that high MS doesn't seem to be relicated to subsequent hops, that much latency still suggests that there is something wrong there.

the slow MS to the router seemed to cause subsequent issues across the route trace i sent them.

So pc to router was 30, then every hop was at a similar level around 20

Now with pc to router at 1, then every hop is 12 to the same location

Hard to say as it is a different time fo the day etc.

Tairbh
Dabbler

Sounds like a generic Blizz response there, a few canned suggestions which have little to do with the actual problem! Nice to get a response but I think it's probably an issue somewhere between them and Plusnet, rather than our individual computers - too many of us with similar problems to be individual.

There's another thread on the official forum today of people with the same error messages, nobody's mentioned their ISP but I've linked this thread in case any of them are on Plusnet (and asked if any are not, as names of other ISPs affected might perhaps help PN figure out where the routing issue is happening)

Btw I continue to not have a problem after being moved to the static IP - I've not played long enough to be confident it's really gone (as I did manage to go days without seeing it before now, intermittent problems are the worst), but if everyone else who's been moved is also not seeing it, then it's a good sign.