cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discord not working sometimes - Looks like a UDP issue

stamford43e
Hooked

Discord not working sometimes - Looks like a UDP issue

Intermittently, Discord (a VoIP application for voice gaming voice chat) will fail to connect with the error 'RTC Connecting' and then 'No Route'.  The Discord help pages says this is a problem with UDP not getting through.  

I know the Discord side isn't to blame as my friends are all connected to the same servers and if I bypass my Broadband and connect via my phone (hotpot or tethered) it immediately works.

I have seen this 4 or 5 times of over the past couple of weeks, always in the evening but then I don't tend to use Discord during the day and then when I test it again in the morning it's working fine.

My guess is that its to do with the IP i'm being assigned as there was mention in the forums of another user with UDP issues having them resolved by assigning a static IP. https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/UDP-issues-DNS-VPN-Gaming-high-latency/m-p/1614182).  That might explain why it works most of them time until I get a 'bad' IP which then prevents it working until the lease expires.

I also have a Plusnet at another property and I've never had this problem there....that line has a static IP assigned!

I've tried restarting the router several times and connecting via cable and wireless.  I've tried from my phone, laptop and desktop on the home network and all give the same result when its not working and all work fine when it is working.

Router firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

10 REPLIES 10
Nye

Re: Discord not working sometimes - Looks like a UDP issue

I am having this problem as well today. I have eventually found a workaround - turning on the VPN. This is OK for me as I'm playing games on a PS4 and only using the PC for discord chat...

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Gaming.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
stamford43e
Hooked

I did assume that would work. I'm looking at Plusnet to find a solution but they dont seem to be taking any customer service calls at the moment.

So another workaround for you: If you are the Discord server administrator you can change the region it is hosted in. I changed it from Europe to USA and it started working immediately. I then changed it back to Europe and it continued working.

It also seems to fix the problem if you connect to a working server and then back to whichever one didnt work.
Nye

Ah, thanks for the tip mate! I'll try to have a word with the admin later...

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

This sounds like the same issue that is being reported on the other thread in here?  Is it when trying to join an voice channel?  Or more general?

Is anyone able to consistently replicate it?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Nye

I was getting the same a 'no route' error as @stamford43e when connecting to voice channels. Switching DNS servers as per the advice in the other the other thread didn't resolve it (although the faster page loading is a very pleasant side effect). However, this seems to have resolved itself overnight. At least for now...

Kelly
Hero

Do you know if you're on the same IP as yesterday?  If not, PM me your username and I'll check

Kelly Dorset
stamford43e
Hooked

Hi Kelly.

I thought it might be the IP address when it first started to happen intermittently so I paid for a static IP. Sadly this has not resolved the issue and it has still happened since the static IP was applied.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hiya. From a billing side of things, unless you'd want to keep the static IP, I'm happy to refund the £5 and then remove it.

Let me know and I'll arrange this for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kelly
Hero

We are aware of some people seeing these same issues when NOT on PN connections so at the minute we don't think it's Plusnet.  If you all spot something which makes you think it IS down to is, let us know!

If someone is able to replicate and get a wireshark of the problem happening, let us know so we can take a look at what happens.

Kelly Dorset