cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant High Ping, Slow Connection, High Latency + Packet Loss on Ethernet (online PC games)

funnello

Constant High Ping, Slow Connection, High Latency + Packet Loss on Ethernet (online PC games)

Hi all, 

I have been experiencing High Ping, Slow Connection, High Latency + Packet Loss on Ethernet - particularly on online games such as Rocket League, where my ping is spiking every second from 180 to 900+. 

I have had this issue for many months now, but I have attempted to put up with it, but it's only become worse. 

I am connected to my router via a power line adapter that is plugged into an extension plug. 

The internet is extremely unreliable, often recording below 1.00 for both upload and download speeds.

Nothing is ever being downloaded by anyone in my house at times of high ping.

Any help or suggestions as to how I may be able to fix this recurring and annoying issue are greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
lasors

Re: Constant High Ping, Slow Connection, High Latency + Packet Loss on Ethernet (online PC games)

OK so powerline adapters aren't bullet proof and can fail. Most issues are because you are plugged into an extension socket on an extension lead - not a good idea. Just had to replace my tplink ones for passthrough versions to remove this (although I suspect the mismatch in firmware here was to blame).  Also worth updating firmware on them - you'll need a directly cabled laptop or PC with the right software. 

Best test is if you are directly cabled into the router and do speedtests and via wifi. Also worth rebooting the powerline adapters by unplugging. Is anyone hoovering or using electrical equipment like blenders or anything else that could introduce noise when the ping goes up? Are you plugged into any other switches or direct from homeplug - remove them if you are.

Post more details if you have them.

Good luck