cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage allowance

tomm
Grafter

Re: usage allowance

AAISP ... also worth pointing out they offer 2Mbps upload versus BT's 10Mb upload for £25. You have to add "premium" for £10 per month at AAISP to get the 10Mb upload.
I think on the premium product side, PlusNet need to compete against the £25 product from BT; but I'm sure they're aware what others are offering. I don't think they need to offer 200/300GB of usage for everyone, I would imagine they can offer cheaper products for those of us who don't get anywhere near those numbers.
Tom.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Asbo
the fup on the unlimited over at bt is now set at 300gb up from the old 100gb, so how do BT do that then surely they are not making enough profit on the vision ect products to sub that kind of usage even with the throttling they do

Because they have loads of gullible idiots paying far, far more than they need to for the amount of bandwidth they use which subsidises the high bandwidth users.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
puffin
Grafter

Quote from: tomm
AAISP ... also worth pointing out they offer 2Mbps upload versus BT's 10Mb upload for £25. You have to add "premium" for £10 per month at AAISP to get the 10Mb upload.

True, but BT charge more for 10Mbps connections.  Given the choice of 2Mbps upload but a sane amount of bandwidth and low shaping vs 10Mbps up that's shaped all to hell I know which I'd choose...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plusnet don't shape uploads!
scootie
Grafter

i wasn't aware BT was shaping uploads  Sad . still got my order in with them, tho there is a few posts on there forum from customers that have tried ordering a new free 2nd line install infinity product  but the orders keep failing and bt dont know why or just dont inform customers.
so am just sat waiting this week to see if it fail's at any point, there is no chance am canceling the post office off the line and whacking fttc on that as i would still be paying the subs in cancellation fee for post office yet not getting the goods, that's why i picked to run 2 lines till contract end then at least am getting what i will be paying through the nose for.
dam huge bandwidth and usage allowances, your more addictive than class a's  Crazy
puffin
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Plusnet don't shape uploads!

My connection begs to differ!
Either that or PlusNet's network is vastly under capacity for the amount of traffic on it.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

nibor - by telling us you are restricting your usage tells us a great deal about how we proposition a fibre product, ultimately it also comes down to economics as well though. FTTC costs us more to provide than ADSL, plus there's no market pricing. So just plugging the simple maths in means that to offer Value with 10GB comes out around £20 and Extra with 60GB around £25 by just adding on the extra cost of FTTC over ADSL. These are finger in the air calculations so don't take anything from them about what we may offer. You've also got to take in to account the burst factor as well as the usage because just viewing a web page will mean your connection bursts at 20Mbps or more when it may only be 6Mbps on ADSL2+ so the network needs more bandwidth to cope with that.
For the trial I don't have any means of offering any product combinations other than what we have on sale (or what you're on if you're on a legacy product) so I can't give a different usage allowance to the triallists, now while in numbers this may not give a completely accurate representation of what will happen were we to offer a product with more than 60GB say the overall feedback will also take a part. The economics are based around not every customer using the usage allowance, the average usage on Extra is considerably lower than 60GB, so the same would happen with FTTC so that you can get the mix of users right and ensure that overall the average usage comes in right for the product. There will always be users that use way above the average and those that do practically nothing. We'll take everything together to decide what we expect the average usage to be (and yes if we offer a higher than 60GB product I'd expect it to be higher than it is at the moment) and set the allowance appropriately. And if loads of people are saying the same as you that the usage isn't enough this will help. But on the converse the higher the usage allowance the higher the price.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: puffin
My connection begs to differ!

Then you have problems on your network!
I have never, ever seen a case where upload transfers were being throttled - in fact it's physically not possible because by the time it reaches a point where it could be throttled it's already been transferred!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Depends on your definition jelv, we can rate limit upload but we rate limit from us out to the internet rather than you to us. So it kind of makes it pointless as the traffic has already passed through the part of the network that costs the most. The only traffic we rate limit upstream now are profiles when you go over your usage allowance, there's a 448k rate limit on Remote Access applications on a couple of products and a couple of rate limits on P2P.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
nibor
Grafter

Don't mind paying for a good product when the pricing is sorted, 40-60gb would seem reasonable without  restrictions other than on P2P as i reckon thats where people could potentially take the micky.
Anyways we shall wait and see  Roll_eyes
JEB
Grafter

I would be happy to pay a premium price as well.  The finger in the air price of £25 strikes me as far too cheap, although I would like a higher allowance then 60GB.
I'm personally still on the old Premium Option 1 product, notwithstanding it's more pricey then the newer products mainly because of the longer off peak hours and the lower amount of traffic shaping (well going by the pages in support anyway.)  Albeit the on peak allowance is rather low.

James
AshleyHinton
Grafter

It will be interesting to see what happens - we have an Apple TV (streaming movies etc) on order, but would any extra costs if the bandwidth allowance needed increasing negate the fact that Apple movie rentals are a quid cheaper than on our Virgin Media cable tv box. Out of interest does anybody in this forum use streaming services in anger (online movie rentals, a lot HD iPlayer..) - if so how do you find the bandwidth usage?
Regards,
Ashley
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: AshleyHinton
... we have an Apple TV ... if so how do you find the bandwidth usage?

If you can be in the habit of making your ATV purchases just before midnight, then the downloads will happen overnight and do not count towards your usage allowance.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
tangey
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
If you can be in the habit of making your ATV purchases just before midnight, then the downloads will happen overnight and do not count towards your usage allowance.

Incorrect, Apple TV is a STREAMING service, NOT a download service. So unless you want to get into the habit of watching all your movies between midnight and 8am, every movie you watch will come out of your "paid-for" allowance.
nibor
Grafter

I caught up on some tv via I player, that bumped up my daily usage quite a bit by about 6-800 mb and that was just one show lasting an hr, nice clear picture though