Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using own router from the install

FIXED
Bunglebonce

Using own router from the install

Hi all,

I'm having full fiber plumbed in tommorow and I intend using my own router (TP-Link AX20 v 3.0)

My question is, do I have to/am i better plumbing in the plusnet router initially and letting everything "settle down" before I replace it with my router, or, can I just whack my router in and set it up straight from the start - it making no differance?

Many thanks in advance!

B

16 REPLIES 16
Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Using own router from the install

If it were me I would use the PlusNet router first and make sure everything is working as expected... then swap over to your preferred router and keep the PN router in case of troubleshooting in future.

Edited to add:   There should be no settling in period with Full Fibre - so as soon as it is in and working properly with the PN router swap it over

Batfrog
Aspiring Pro

@Bunglebonce In my case we,  i.e. the OR engineer and myself connected my own router and the speed test was the full speed as expected.

For some reason the engineer then asked if I had the Plusnet router, which I had paid the P&P for as a spare, and said “can we just connect it to check, you can do what you want when I’ve gone”. Not sure why that was and he didn’t say. So, its now back in it’s box waiting – just in case !

Bunglebonce

Thanks for the info 👍🏻 I think I'll start with the plusnet one then and then swap them when we know all is good.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@Bunglebonce It's up to you, but I'd make sure the speed is good on our router first then connect yours. The username is yourusername@plusdsl.net and the password for the router auth is your account password if that helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

My one conrribution from my full fibre install is that the connection, once installed, works much better if you disconnect your old VDSL service before getting the full fibre working!

I am the satisfied customer....
Bunglebonce

Hi everyone and thanks for all the words of wisdom. The issue I have now is I can't get the TP-link router to work with the amber "no internet" light. I have set everything as has been suggested using the correct login/password; PPPoE; cloned the mac address; but to no avail. One thing I did notice when looking at router settings on the plusnet versus TP-link web pages was the Lan IP address for TP-link was 192.168.0.1 whereas plusnet's was 192.168.1.254. Could this be something to do with it and if so, any suggestions? Thanks in advance and for tolerating my ignorance 😊
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

@Bunglebonce 

What is the network map showing?

You do not need to clone the MAC address leave it Use default MAC Address. Using the TP-Link emulator, I would expect the Advanced >Internet settings to look something like this

Screenshot 2024-05-24 085717.png

The change of IP Address to 192.168.0.1 will not stop the Internet connection, 

Bunglebonce

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
It won't let me add an screen shot but I can tell you that your image is the same apart from the ip adress/primary/secondarydns saying 0.0.0.0 on minen the mac address is different and the Internet port speed setting on mine is "auto" . Im a bit puzzled as it's not the cable etc, as im using all the same ones with the Plusnet router.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

The IP Address are 0.0.0.0 as the broadband user has not logged on to the plusnet network.

The AX20 blue WAN port should be connected directly to the ONT, every MAC address is unique, speed Auto should is fine as the port should auto negotiate to the correct speed, probably 1000Mbps.

If you look at the System log found in >Advanced >System >System log. In log type you need to look at PPP messages. Hopefully it will give us a clue what's wrong

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

@Bunglebonce It won't let me add an screen shot

If you are accessing the forum from a 'mobile' type device, then you will need to select 'desktop site' from the browser menu before the ability to add screen shots will appear

It won't let me add an screen shot but I can tell you that your image is the same apart from the ip adress/primary/

I hope its not exactly then same, there's a minor typo in @Dan_the_Van s post , it should be plusdsl.net not plusdls.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bunglebonce

Hi and thanks again.  I have disconnected now as I need to paste the log into this window and I have a meeting in a bit, but one thing I did notice was that the time and date are wrong.  Could this cause the issue perhaps?

Anyway log info below and I thank you again for your continued help before I send the thing back 🙂

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] pppoe send PADT due to(phase disconnect device)

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp send LCP TermReq due to Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp receive CHAP Failure: CHAP authentication failure

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp send CHAP Response name=umpshiremon@plusdsl.net

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp receive CHAP Challenge name=acc-aln1.lea

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp receive LCP ACK

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp send LCP ACK

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp receive LCP Request options(mru=1492;authtype=PPP_CHAP|type(MD5);magic=0x12687000;)

2023-02-19 00:44:11 PPP INFO [6272] ppp send LCP Request

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

@Bunglebonce youre failing PPPoE authentication. I'm assuming you have the correct username (the bit before the @plusdsl.net ) but are you sure you have the correct password. The username and password should be exactly the same ones you use to login to the member centre  https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bunglebonce

Thanks for the advice. I will check and recheck everything later and let you know how get on 👍🏻